Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Rubbah Slippahs - say it ain't so
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  12:58:30 PM  Show Profile
ova hea we get sufah eah
plenny kine callouses buildem in da eah canal
das casues da watah too cole, 68 is wahm!

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/14/2008 :  3:21:58 PM  Show Profile
"Da Rubbah Slippa" get advantages but sometimes no get. Advantage numba won: I was in my 52 chev 2door hardtop. I like blow em out, so arond Punahou I punch the gas paddle all da way down. I stay on da Arterial going Kaimuki-syd. Flying (you know wat I meem)! I hit 70 by Varsity Off ramp. Ei, man, I wen tell myself, "back off now!" So... I back off the gas paddle. Cooling my jets bout 40 MPH, da HPD motocycle (I no can pidgin dis won cos I get one HD in Ellensburg for cruising the "praire"). I pull o'wa (I was riding one punched out '47 HD and Vespa, den, so I KNOW HPD going beat my papakole (check da dictionary; dis won mo clean than fo say "okole"). "How come you drive so fast?", he asked. I said "my rubbah slippah wen jam the gas paddle" I show him my rubbah slippah stay on my lef foot BUT not on da right foot, coz, I told him, "I had to bend ova and pull my slippah off". So... You no can use dis excuse today BUT wen work for dis papa'a Hawaiian in 1965!

Disadvantage 1: I stay in Panama City Florida, doing da drive from Da Beach places (wit luau and hard feets and Aloha shirt, dis da best way fo go bars) to Tyndall AFB. I spaak dis ka'a coming on da fly, left to right. I flying; maybe 80 in my 63 Porsche. Course, I driving barefoot, with my big right toe hooked ova the gas paddle (mo easy fo pull da paddle up, fo decelerate). I flash em wit my highlights fo warn em. Da buggah stop at da stop sign fo let me pass. Den, he come behind me and whip on the "Christmas Tree" lights AND da sireen. Some shame, you know, coz behine me get all da oddah guyz (not the Seattle "Da Oddah Guyz") flying by. So, I open my door, pick up my rubbah slippahs from da floorboards, deposit same on the road fo my feets to go in, I slip into em and go say hello to the police officer. Dat Buggah, get good humor: he come up to me and said, chuckling, "you gotta go back Hawaii to drive barefoot. Hea in Panama City, you gotta have foot wear". Da fine was $80; minah, dou, coz, he was laughing. So... Wen you wea rubbah slippah, make sure you get em on wen da police officer stop you.

Advantage 2: Mo easy fo hemo, den shoes, wen I go honwanjii fo smell da incense and shake da sticks, or judo, or decorate Catholic church altar.

Disadvantage 2: Coz I get rubbah slippah on, I godda do da work. See, da guyz wit shoes still taking off they's shoes and I stay pau da job, awready!

Eh! Get many, many mo good and bad anecdotes fo wearing rubbah slippah but da best is when you godda dive in da wada fo rescue won drowning victim: you can hemo da slippah on da fly befo you hit da wada, jus like my fada wen do fo fetch da float that wen float down da canal.

Edited by - Baritone on 07/06/2008 5:44:23 PM
Go to Top of Page

hapuna
Lokahi

USA
159 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  1:25:44 PM  Show Profile  Visit hapuna's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by Baritone

"Da Rubbah Slippa" get advantages but sometimes no get. Advantage numba won: I was in my 52 chev 2door hardtop. I like blow em out, so arond Punahou I punch the gas paddle all da way down. I stay on da Arterial going Kaimuki-syd. Flying (you know wat I meem)! I hit 70 by Varsity Off ramp. Ei, man, I wen tell myself, "back off now!" So... I back off the gas paddle. Cooling my jets bout 40 MPH, da HPD motocycle (I no can pidgin dis won cos I get one HD in Ellensburg for cruising the "praire").

You know when you said you got to 70 for just one second I thought you were going to say you wen put da slippa down and drag on da pavement foa slow down.

hapuna
Seattle
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  7:08:48 PM  Show Profile
Da "Rubbah Slippah" continues! K, den.

Advantage numba 3. Up Kamehameha School circa 61 had plenty baseball/football kine fields. And, MOUNTAINS! Wen get beeeeg rain da fields flood and da mountains slip'ry. So! Da guys go, da kine, mud slide. Easy fo weah da rubbah slippah, hemo em, den go slide in da mud.

Dis advantage numba 3 is dat not suppos'to go sliding (especially up da mountains). So! How fo tell who wen go? I'ze: check da rubbah slippah fo "fresh" Red Dirt. Dass how fo get em "K'nap'cha".

Advantage numba 4: In Hilo my "friend" go get differen kala rubbah slippah fo match da clothes-kala. And, rubbah slippah stay "affordable" and mo easy fo get da kine Smelda-like collection...coz cheap fo buy.

Disadvantage numba 4: Since all da stowahs get da rubbah slippa from da same distributar, you only get da same kala and you stay get huhu coz wen you go won noddah stowah (like Kai Store) no mo different kala rubbah slippah. And, I get tired explaining to da keeds, like da wons at St. Joe who get da kine Portugal derivative surname, why mo bettah no go EVERY bloddy (I tryin; godda avoid da "f" word) stowah fo try find different kala rubbah slippah. Huuuuuu! Tell you wat: dis won beeeg disadvantage headache, wen da slippah is rubbah AND cheap er'y'body (dass wuz, like, 10,000) like different kala. AND, some stupid retailers tink dey goin make won keeling so dey orda coup'ka'pyla rubbah slippah. You get da pic'cha...........

C'mon you peoples! You GODDA get "Rubbah Slippah" kine feats fo tattle!?!

Herb
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 06/15/2008 :  7:09:04 PM  Show Profile
E you gotta watch out. If you skin stay broke or get puka nowadays get funny kine germs in da watah and da one. Bumbay get flesh eating da kine an not going be funny. So da wet ea make da ʻili come soft but you gotta watch foa da germs liʻdat. No joke man.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  12:34:06 AM  Show Profile
I had the flesh eating bacteria. Not because of slippahs, but because of very odd circumstances. It was horrible. It was in a very private place. I know that is way more info than you want to know, but take it from me, if you get a little skin infection and it rapidly grows into something bigger, do not try to treat it with home remedies. Go to the doc right away. Maybe you would not have eto have surgery like me. Two days in a row in hospital go surgery for "debridement". Worse pain I ever had in my life, worse than gall bladder, worse than being in labor, worse than heart surgery.

I think a couple of years ago, someone fell in Ala Wai canal and then died from an infection. I think also Uncle Charles on Maui, his daughter died also from the same kine. I was scared to go sleep iin the hospital, I thought if I shut my eyes, I would die.

Please do not ignore a skin infection. Treat it aggressively from the get go.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  01:33:55 AM  Show Profile
"mo easy fo get da kine Smelda-like collection"

Used to keep a taro sack in the back of my pickup- throw in all my old tabi, rubbah slippah, plus the spares I find on the beach- big bag of old, stinky shoes. When someone would blow out their slipper, or need some tabi for pick opihi or whatevah, I would tell them "try look in the Esmelda Marcos collection". No one ever understood my joke.

But finally- finally I think I have found someone old enough, and interested in world events enough, to understand...

Chris
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  07:09:08 AM  Show Profile
Chris - I woulda thought most women would instantly think Emelda Marcos when you speak of a shoe collection. She is the penultimate collector, a position most other women can only dream of attaining.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 06/16/2008 :  5:27:41 PM  Show Profile
quote:
"Used to keep a taro sack in the back of my pickup- throw in all my old tabi, rubbah slippah,...."

You did what my fadda did. Coz, rubbah slippah get left syd & da udda syd. Da kala no madda! Black on left syd and green on da udda syd work. I tot you was goin tell, you use the eke fo, da kine, boat mooring/float. Bus out laugh wen us guyz wen spaak won crab-net float made from plenny Rubbah Slippah. And, we KNOW da float in the canal belong "Toe-Joe" coz dass HIS old, old, old Rubbah Slippa from hana-bahda time.

Aloha, Herb
PS. Thanks, Eh, Uncho-Braddah Ed fo fix me up!!

Edited by - Baritone on 06/16/2008 8:06:26 PM
Go to Top of Page

Menpachi Man
Lokahi

274 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  3:24:42 PM  Show Profile
quote:
You GODDA get "Rubbah Slippah" kine feats fo tattle!?!

Kden I ged one.

Advantage numbah 5
Wen I go speeya feesh, I wok on da rocks wid rubbah sleepah. Den befo go in da watah, I tie da rubbah sleepah on my 30ft streengah fo my floatah. I use naupaka leeves, eef get, for clean da goggles. Da rubbah sleepah betta den clorox bottoe coz wen u go down pass 30 ft da sleepah no pull u up, she go down wid u so u can streeng da firs feesh an den speeya one mo, anden go up wile streengeeng da feesh. Gotta be ole kine style sleepah, not da beeg kine wid plenneh rubbah oddawize no sink wid yu. Wen u go deep, u spin aroun fo look fo shahks wen u go up fo air.

Edit: Foget da disadvantage.
My moddah and faddah use da rubbah slippah for spank da okole wen dey tot I was kolohe an lolo. I no can imagine, I woz good boi.

Edited by - Menpachi Man on 07/08/2008 3:26:15 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2008 :  3:39:06 PM  Show Profile
Glenn - that is what my mother did, too. And just like you, I woz good, too. I no can imagine eedah. Hoo, dat rubbah steeng. And another rule, not related to slippahs. Nevah get dat toy wit paddo and rubbah ball on a lastick line -- da bolo bat it was called heah. You no - da paddo tiig you stay smack da little ball on da string, keep bouncing and smacking wit da paddo. When da elastic go buckaloose and da dog chew up da little rubbah ball, oni da paddle left. Nevah let jo-mamma get hole odat paddo. Tro em in garbage wikiwiki.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Baritone
Lokahi

USA
136 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  07:40:11 AM  Show Profile
Manpachi Man! "You Da Man" coz you unda'stan! Da bestest wit rubbah slippah fo spr'ng is no need fight the float fo stay down. Can poke 2 - 3 kole befo come up. BUT! Most times, in Kapoho, I take one slippah in hand when I go down, coz I use da slippah wit da left hand fo brace on da rock when I try go poke in da cave/puka, ly dat. One time, I was searchin for kumu, had fo come up for ea, I quick-like-a-wink secure da slippah on da hinge-gun and boogey up. Dis way mo easy fo see da rig below and no need go dat extra 3 feet fo grab da rig. Just grab da slippah.

Us guyz wuz genuine-smart and inventors, den!
Herb
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  08:06:39 AM  Show Profile
quote:

I quick-like-a-wink secure da slippah on da hinge-gun
Eh Glennpachi, you taking notes?
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  11:42:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Growing up in New Zealand we called them "jandals," which is short for Japanese sandals and is the original, trademarked name for them...that's right, the "modern" rubbah slippah we have all come to know and love was invented in the '50s in New Zealand.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  5:03:27 PM  Show Profile
You guyz too good wi da rubbah slippah for dive. Me, I wen give up on da flotah cause always one hassle go back to da bag. So I jus carry um in my han- bag an flashlight lef han, right han free for grab da bugs, an two foot sling wi one short rubbah an regular speargun tip (no tree prong fo me!)in da belt in case see moi or whatevahs. Usually jus lobstahs fo da frens an one-two nice moi fo me. Da nose my favorite part, den da cheeks and da eye- da body lilbit bland, mebbe give um to one fren...

Chris
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000