Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 goin' pickless
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  2:15:17 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
Originally posted by cmdrpiffle

Moral of the story...Give up the guitar. Take up the accordian.
No, no, no! Take up air guitar! We'll get together in Hawaii for the first air band kanikapila and the only sounds will be those of laughter, the island breeze, and the birds singing in the background. Now that's nahenahe!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 03/20/2003 5:24:43 PM
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  4:54:40 PM  Show Profile
Okay Craig, but I wanna be the bass player.

Bass players always get the Wahines!

Cmdr 'Real Low' Piffle

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2003 :  6:12:16 PM  Show Profile
I was trying to put sound aside because I realize that there will be a difference. I was just wondering about the technical aspects to pick or not to pick.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  09:45:30 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi chris,

i've been spending the last three weeks picking without picks (i use alaska picks when i use picks). i'm not sure what you mean by "technical" aspects? when starting, i found playing with picks easier than without because it's easier to get a good clean sound. but, i hit a wall (perhaps improving my looks) in being able to do more dynamic things, so i started playing without (hence this thread). playing without picks also makes it easier to write down notes when working out a song, and you can whip up your guitar and let 'er rip without the pickloading stage, perhaps impressing onlookers (but it gives them less time to run and hide).

john, i've trimmed down the nails to a bit shorter than dusty's, and i'm trying to learn to play both with and without nails. it is going to be a long and rocky road. one concrete report - i worked out keawe's "mama's music box". with picks, i was having a hard time making that middle D ring out like he does in his recording. going pickless, it's easier for me to accentuate the D. i think that i can make it stand out by softening up on the other strings (rather than plucking it harder, which is what i was doing before).

i'll record two versions of the same song, one with and one without picks and open myself up for constructive criticism at some point.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  10:00:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
quote:
Moral of the story...

Give up the guitar. Take up the accordian.

Polka Rocks!
okay, i'm going to start working on "the beer barrel hula" for our next CD.

a college friend used to play in an accordion band (http://www.thosedarnaccordions.com/) - i've not been the same since...

keith

Keith

Edited by - marzullo on 03/21/2003 10:01:12 AM
Go to Top of Page

cdyas
Akahai

67 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  10:40:20 AM  Show Profile
Technical aspects was the wrong idea, mechanical advantage is what I was looking for and yes my questions have been answered.

Thanks
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 03/21/2003 :  1:55:53 PM  Show Profile
At the moment my nails are pretty short. I tore the one on my middle finger on the damn armrest on the plane comming home from Kauai in Jan. It still hasn't recovered from my attempts at "superglueing" to be able to record my selection for our taropatch CD. So I'm using an alaska pick on my index finger and one of those hollowed out metal propiks for my middle finger and a big plastic Johnson thumbpick.

Yes! John is GREAT. Keith will enjoy him at Aloha Camp this summer. Unfortunately we won't be able to go.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 03/21/2003 1:56:56 PM
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  02:58:18 AM  Show Profile
Keith,
I go all of my spending money, fees and book money playing accordion in polka bands in Chicago back in the, ...
If you're ... enough to try beer barrel in slack key - tab it out and send it to me, or at least just record it and send it.
(I really hope you were joking. - But I am working out arrangements of a Polish Wedding waltz which I a play in medley with Ahe Lau Makani, as well as a medley of two Polish hymns. That's pushing the bounds of slack key maybe where it shouldn't go.)
Raymond
San Jose
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  07:51:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
john,

yep, the bass line is (i think, i don't have a guitar up here in the arctic) G D D, and
with i play with picks the dynamic range between the D and the treble notes is not as
great as it is when john k. plays it. i think that it's because everything becomes
loud when i play with picks. pickless, the treble notes are softer and so that D rings
out better.

it's going to be long for me because i need to retrain myself and figure out how to
control things like fingertips versus fingernails. the nice thing about playing
guitar is, you do it for the journey.

aloha,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  07:54:04 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
hi raymond,

yeah, i was kidding about the beer barrel hula (it's such a great name that i might try it out). i am working on a texas medley for my goddaughter (who was born in austin and at six is fiercely texan). i figure, if john keawe can do "puff the magic dragon" i should be able to do "san antonio rose".

i'm sure bob wills is turning in his grave,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  08:02:22 AM  Show Profile
I can play "Green Green Grass Of Home" Bill Pellazar's Paia Slack Key Style! A Hui Hou!

JUS'PRESS!

slackkey
Go to Top of Page

Turtle Song
Aloha

47 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  11:31:57 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by marzullo

texan) i figure, if john keawe can do "puff the magic dragon" i should be able to do "san antonio rose".

I would LOVE to hear that! Half of my soul lives in Texas, the other half in Hawai'i. Unfortunately my body lives in Alaska.

:-)

The seeds for the flowering of our personal peace are within our hopeful, but fragmented, selves. Reflection and silence compose the winds that nurture our simplicity that is the essence of beauty. - Frank Howell
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 03/22/2003 :  11:58:02 PM  Show Profile
I know this is going to push some people's buttons, but I think it is great to tale what we've learned about slack key and apply it to music we've grown up with and other music which has influenced us. (The history of modern art in the first half of the 20th century largely progressed by artists "crossing over" to other traditions and returning back to revision their own tradition. That's one of the ways that a vibrant creativity expresses itself. That said, when I use the term "crossing over," I imply in it that the person who "crosses over" makes a decent effort to learn the other tradition and then adapts from a position of understanding. I also hope that within each tradition there are "keepers of the tradition" who keep it alive and pass it on, both because of its intrinsic worth and as a resource to future generations. (As one who feels he has a role as a "Keeper of Tradition" in a Polish, and Polish-American, context, in my opinion, there are polkas which would be more interesting and a better match for slack key. But, if anyone has a Beer Barrel close to there heart, let it role.) Keith - give San Antonio Rose a try, but how about creating a medley with a Hawaiian "rose" song?
Raymond
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 03/23/2003 :  9:01:33 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
quote:
i]Originally posted by SlackKeyShelby[/i]

Half of my soul lives in Texas, the other half in Hawai'i. Unfortunately my body lives in Alaska.
Oh, this has to be worth one of those free sets of John Pearse strings!

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 03/23/2003 9:02:32 PM
Go to Top of Page

Russell Letson
`Olu`olu

USA
504 Posts

Posted - 03/24/2003 :  12:05:36 PM  Show Profile  Visit Russell Letson's Homepage
What's all this I'm reading about pickles? I never use pickles! The slices are way too floppy, and they start out slippery and wind up dry and stinky! Of course, a *whole* kosher dill might work for lap-style (if it's not too bumpy), but after one tune they've turned into slices, and you're back to the floppy/stinky problem.

What's that? *Pick-less*? No picks? Oh. That's very different. Never mind.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000