Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Da Kine Music Gear
 Classical guitar
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  07:05:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage
Not sure about Aqualung, it's been a long time since I played it, but I recall the bass riff setting up a dominant 7 on the I chord.

For a better example, sing a chorus of "Blue Jay Way" -- "There's a fog upon LA... and my friends have lost their way..."

And here are lots more:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lydian_mode

Actually, there are tons of slack key standards that approach the Lydian mode.

"Old Timer's Hula" and "Kolomona Slack Key" both rely on a #4 (C#) against the G major chord. There are dozens more.

They really aren't lydian mode songs, as they will revert back to a C natural when the song changes to D7. But it will give you an idea what the mode sounds like for a couple of measures, anyway.

What is really going on relates less to modes and more to the use of an A7 in the key of G-- think about the "Hawaiian Vamp" as played on a uke: / A7 D7 / G /.

Yep, the 3rd of an A7 chord is the same as the #4 of a G scale. Ain't music wonderful?

So how about those classical guitars, anyway?

Edited by - Mark on 08/26/2008 07:06:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2008 :  08:49:58 AM  Show Profile
quote:"Hey Paul. I don't think there are any lydian mode songs anymore. Might need to ask a monk, it was used in Gregorian chant I'm told."
That's why I couldn't think of any. Even most dulcimer books don't show any. The phrygian mode is another rare bird. But the Monks thought of the cheerful sounds of the ionian mode(major scale) as sinful, so the chants favored the more somber sounding modes.Some time back I tried tuning to the less common modes just to see what they sounded like. I wasn't able to play any songs I knew using them, and my "noodling" didn't produce anything I chose to continue, so I dropped them.Thanks, Mark.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000