Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 DELETED
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sirduke58
`Olu`olu

USA
993 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  01:46:31 AM  Show Profile
DELETED

Edited by - sirduke58 on 03/04/2009 12:43:54 PM

javeiro
Lokahi

USA
459 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  03:49:51 AM  Show Profile
Sir Duke: Terrific post! You should get a lot of interesting replies.

1.) How would you categorize your slack key tastes?
I tend to like the older traditional music and styling.

2.) How much of it is due to the first time you were introduced to it?
All of it! I first listened to slack key as a young boy going fishing and camping with my family. That’s the only music my dad listened to. That’s what made me want to learn it and it brings me back to that simple and wonderful time in my life.

3.) How much of it is due to the learning material or resources available to you?
Thankfully, most of the songs I like are available in tab. I have bought other more contemporary material but rarely pick it up after looking through it.

4.) How much of it is due to a favorite slack key artist?
Again, probably all of it.

5.) More partial to traditional ki ho'alu or contemporary slack key? And why?
Traditional ki ho’alu because as I said above, it brings me back to that simple and wonderful time in my life.

6.) Instrumental ki ho'alu or mele ki ho'alu?
Generally instrumental, though I like to sing to myself because I don’t feel like my voice is good enough.

7.) Original arrangements & renditions or newer arrangements & renditions?
I usually try to learn the original arrangements, though I do like some newer arrangements of older traditional tunes.

8.) Complex arrangements or simple arrangements?
I like the more simple melodies but perfectly executed and timed arrangements.

9.) Top 3 slack key artist with the most influence on your ki ho'alu.
Sonny Chillingworth, Leonard Kwan, Ray Kane

Aloha,
John A.
Go to Top of Page

RJS
Ha`aha`a

1635 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  07:09:00 AM  Show Profile
Interesting topic.

Preface: In actual life I don't make hard and fast, mutually exclusive, distinctions beween traditionasl and contemp slack key. What follows is more categorical than my actual practice tends to be. I am trying to highlight preferences and general tendencies.

1. While I can play traditional, most of the playing I do for myself and friends tends to push boundaries one way or another. I play a lot of Latin music from a slack key perpective, and slack key with a Latin feel. One thing this results in is a lot of syncopation in the bass. (Some say I get to ruin both styles that way.)
2. Probably not much due to my first eperience of slack key because my musical tastes were already pretty well established by the time I first heard slack key. Had I heard, for example, Makana as my first slack key I might not have become as interested as I did. The first slack key I heard, BTW, was Beamer's "dream guitar" style, that that made an instant impression. First time I heard a cut, as soon as I got home I called the station to find out what they played. (Before cell phones.)
3, Very little of my tastes are due to learning resources. I learned from both traditional (Ozzie, George K,) and contemp (Keola, Steve Sano)
4. Probably the other way around - I like to listen to certain artists more than others because of my preferences, not that the artists created the preference. (Though it may be argued that if I didn't hear slack key played in certain ways, I would not be aware of those possibilities.)
5. Contemporary. I grew up on classical music. While I enjoy purely "folk" styles for a while, I don't listen to them for any length of time at one sitting. Hearing the same bass line repeating through half a dozen songs maxes me out. I prefer music that has more complexity. The contemporary style tends to be more interesting to me from an harmonic perpective, as well as playing around with the bass line, and that also gives more material to play with in terms of melody and inprov.
6. I generally prefer intrumental because I don't sing solo well. Also, I don't have the energy to learn the nuances of Hawaiian, so I miss too much.
7. The slack key classics are great. They are classics because they present a song in a way that captures its essence. How can you get tired of listening to Sonny? (Ok, maybe if you play it over and over and over.) That said, I'm always on the look out for a new arrangement, or new song, that captures my interest. Music and creativity go hand in hand for me.
8. Definitely complex - more stuff there for repeated listenings. (As I said above, though, some of the simple ones are at the level of classics.)
9. Have to answer this differently:
First tier: Ozzie K, Steve Sano, Keola B. (Both in their personal instruction and in their playing styles)
Second Tier: George K (With whom I studied for about a year. He taught me to play the guitar as well as slack key. He was very tolerant, even though my tastes in style differed from his - a mark of an excellent teacher)
Third Tier: Dennis K., Sonny C,
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:18:07 AM  Show Profile
-contemporary

-Most of it

3.) How much of it is due to the learning material or resources available to you?
-Almost all of it

-Most of it

-Contemporary because it tends to be more 3 finger + thumb style.
-However,I have been learning mostly traditional lately.

-Instrumental only. Not singing yet

Newer arrangements...I learn by tab and secondly by ear so it depends on the tab available or the artist.

I tend to like complex but enjoy simpler arrangements very much.

9.) Top 3 slack key artist with the most influence on your ki ho'alu
-Ozzie, Keola, Kane
I usually do not like everything from any artist.

Bob
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:18:34 AM  Show Profile

I tend to play more in the traditional style. Although, I like more contemporary style as well.

A fair amount of my playing style is due to what I first listened to.

Again, a fair amount as we regularly attend George Kahumoku's workshop.

A lot.

I like them both. As previously mentioned, I tend to play more in the traditional style using primarily my thumb and index finger for 80% of my playing. I do use the middle (and on occasion my ring) finger for harmonies. As to why, it's the way I learned.

Instrumental. Believe me, it's better that way.

I mostly play my own arrangements.

A blend.

Led Kaapana
Ray Kane
Ozzie Kotani
as well as others like Mark Nelson, George Kahumoku, Paul Togioka, John Keawe, Kevin Brown, Jeff Peterson, etc...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Podagee57
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:22:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit Podagee57's Homepage
I was never into rock-n-roll...always enjoyed beauty in music. Not that I don't enjoy a good up tempo song. Just that the slow beautiful ones are what really moves me. The sound of an acoustic guitar has always been special to me and when I first heard the beauty of an acoustic guitar playing a beautiful and melodic tune in kihoalu stylings I was hooked. Can't specifically answer each question, but if it falls under the melodic and beautiful category then that's it.

What? You mean high "E" is the TOP string. No way dude! That changes everything!
Go to Top of Page

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:36:18 AM  Show Profile
Aloha,
This is a wonderful topic--maybe the answers should go in a book.
It is a little hard to answer in order; I had to write down the questions to be sure to answer them all.
1--I'm not sure how to catagorize the styles, but I tend toward the nahenahe instrumentals, as opposed to the more vigorous traditional hulas
2--I was introduced to slack in the late 70's from the LPs of Keola and Kapono Beamer
and was blown away. I had been looking for an instrumental guitar style and this was it!
3--I started with Keola's first book, and then got everything else that he produced. I also got Leonard Kwan's book, but I must admit, I didn't take to the style as well. I am not so good with the driving bass, so that may have had a lot to do with my choices of what I like to play. With Mark Hanson's slack key book I also find myself playing the more Keola Beamer style stuff. I can play the Radio Hula, but I have never quite been able to "make it mine."
4--My favorite artist is definitely Keola Beamer, so most of my repetoire mirrors his style. Probably my favorite song to play is his version of E Ku'u Morning Dew that I learned from Mark Hanson at a workshop. Others include He Punahele, Ku'u Lei Awapuhi, Sanoe.
5--I guess that I prefer the contemporary style, but it's really mele to mele. (I don't like falsetto singing though)
6--For my own performing it is instrumental, but I love to listen to Dennis Kamakahi, Led, Cyril and Keola's vocal performances.
7--Again this varies and depends on the piece. I'm not sure that I know what is an original or new arrangement, since I did not grow up hearing the "Real Old-style."
8--I generally prefer the simple, solo arrangements of most songs.
9--Top three artists--Keola, Dennis, Cyril and Led (tied)

Allen
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:38:51 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Fairly easy for me to answer:

Definitely more traditional in terms of structure (or at least what I think of as traditional), alternating bass, strong melodic component, instrumental.

Not much, actually. I think I was introduced through Keola Beamer's music, some of which I still enjoy but most of which is too "new-agey" for me.

Very little. I started out with (and am still working on) Ozzie's book because it was the easiest to learn, but it was listening to the various artists I was discovering that ultimately determined my tastes.

The majority of it...Ray Kane is my favorite and definitely my biggest influence.

Traditional. It's the style I fell in love with originally and it speaks to me much louder than contemporary, which to my ear just starts to blend in with a variety of other music styles.

Instrumental.

As long as they're in a more traditional style it doesn't really matter.

Simple for the most part.

Ray Kane. Can I list one person 3 times?! If I had to add two others it would probably be Leonard Kwan and Sonny Chillingworth but Uncle Ray is by far the one artist that I filter everything else I listen to through.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  11:45:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Duke - great topic! It's been a long while since somebody posted something like this.

For me, musical taste changes a lot, then can come full circle again. Generally, I am going to enjoy most slack key and that carries over to other fingerstyle acoustic guitar and other genres of music.

That's the starting point, of course. I first saw Ray Kane, George Kahumoku and Keola Beamer perform. Before that, my first CDs were a John Keawe instrumental album and an old Beamer Brothers Best Of. Since then, I have listened to a lot more but the original stuff that I first heard remain in the rotation.

The learning material influence what I can play but not what I like to listen to. What I play is linked to my ability.

Favorite artists are definitely an influence. The more you listen to something and enjoy it, the more motivated you are to learn it. Again, the limiting factor is my ability (and lack of time necessary to learn it).

I like both and believe that there is a need for both. Traditional ki ho'alu and contemporary slack key should be an influence on our music appreciation and what we want to play. The only thing I do not like is contemporary that is not rooted in the tradition. Sometimes, there is music that is not really slack key and has no basis in slack key. That should not be billed it as such.

Got to have both. Variety makes life more interesting and fun. And where would the mele be without the lyrics/stories?

I don't have access to many really old, original arrangements. When learning a song, I try to listen to whatever I can, both old and new. For me, the recording quality makes the newer stuff more listenable but you can really pick up great stuff from the old recordings.

See number 6. You know, when I see a performance, complex piece after complex piece gets boring - even from the most talented musicians. Complex arrangements and the beauty of simple arrangements are each more appreciated when compared side by side.

I cannot say. It changes every day.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  03:07:15 AM  Show Profile

1.) How would you categorize your slack key tastes? My taste is such that I do not like much of anything else. This is pretty much all my music diet consists of. Hungry for more. Always want more, more, more.
2.) How much of it is due to the first time you were introduced to it? The first Hawaiian music (other than Don Ho) that I was exposed to was Braddah Iz. That was it for me. I was hooked. I couldn't pronounce his name, but I sure liked his voice. It was good for me that some of his songs were more contemporary songs with English lyris. Even without language skills, it did not take me long to notice that most of the songs siad "ha`ina". I had no idea what it meant, but I used to joke with Paul "there he goes wit dat ha`ina again". It was only later than I found out this music ws not "slack key". I went searching for "slack key" on amazon.com and Iz was the result of my search.
3.) How much of it is due to the learning material or resources available to you? Since I am not a musician, but merely a customer of the art, this question does not apply so much to me. When we finally went on our first Hawaiian cruise, we met a man from Big Island kona side -- Charles Nahale. He was playing music in a very out of the way lounge on the ship. He was playing Hawaiian music. We talked story with him every day, and he suggested other music for us to listen to besides Iz. That is how we discovered Bros. Cazimero and the Pahinui family, Makaha Sons and Sons of Hawai`i.
Plenty of what I listen to is because of my favorite slack key artists. That is why one pays money for music, in order to listen to that which they like.
5.) More partial to traditional ki ho'alu or contemporary slack key? And why? Traditional for me. Many times, to me, the more contemporary stuff sounds just only like fingerpicking. Slack key attracted me because it had great feeliing and great mana about it. Some of the more modern stuff has too many embellishments to suit me. The mele gets lost in the theatrics.
6.) Instrumental ki ho'alu or mele ki ho'alu? Besides listening to Duke & Jay, I am not very partial at all to pure instrumental kiho`alu, unless I am way stressed out and need some relaxing, "fall asleep to" music. There are instrumental pieces that blow me away, but by and large, I like the poetry and the kaona of the mele.
7.) Original arrangements & renditions or newer arrangements & renditions? Ahdunno about this. I think I like to listen to all kinds. Matter of fact, when I am learning about a song, I try to listen to the same song by as many people as I can find, just to get each individual's take on the same thing. I do like the feel of "old" music, the simple arrangements and the older sounding vocals, such as Pekelo.
8.) Complex arrangements or simple arrangements? Simple is what I like. I do not need some rooster strutting around the barnyard. I do not need all the embellishments. For instance, I love Led. To me he is THE greatest guitar player ever, and I appreciate his "kolohe-ness". However, I can do without the arm thing or the playing through a paper bag thing. Makes for good theatrics but.
a. Eddie Kamae - he taught me much needed history and reverence and appreciation for the older stuff. He mehlped me to realize how important it is to document history.
b.) Dennis Kamakahi - He touched the poet in me. In addition to playing such beautiful slack key music, he wrote some of the most beautiful songs I have ever heard. Can you imagine dating a guy and he writes you a song like "Pua Hone"? Why heck of course I would marry him after that! You want ho`onipo? Shootz.
c.) Don Narup - he taught me about genuine aloha and how important that aloha is to the music and because of the music.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  12:05:34 PM  Show Profile
I wanted to elucidate on Don Narup. Boy, whenever I think of him, I get chicken skin. One of the first few times that we had ever seen traditional Hawaiian music at a live performance was right here in northeastern Ohio, at Kent Stage in Kent, OH, home of the university. Our daughters bought us tickets for a show starring Patrick Landeza and Cyril Pahinui. We had front row seats, simply because it was general admission and we got there early to stake out a good place. Oh what a show that was! (Well, except for a very old Egyptia musicologist who played his own stuff and then played contemporary Egyptian stuff with Patrick & Cyril). From the beginning, from the first vamps to the last refrain of "Hawai`i Aloha", it was far and away one of the best shows I had ever experienced. This was in April. Later on that year, we saw that Patrick, Cyril, Gary Haleamau and Dennis Kamakahi would be playing a venue in Henderson, NV. I found out it was very close to Las Vegas and somehow convinced Paul that we should take our autumn vacation out West and see the desert mountains instead. Since there ws Hawaiian music involved, he agreed. He bought tickets from Don Narup, who was promoting the show. That was our first contact with Don. What a nice gentleman he was. He kept in e-mail contact with us and even invited us to his house the night before the show for kanikapila. But you see, we are used to Cleveland brand of non-aloha. We thought it was the typical "stop over for a visit" when one does not mean it at all. So we kinda brushed him off. I figured he didn't know us from anyone and really was just being polite. So we showed up at the show, once again got front row seats, and sat there and took it all in. Holy smokes, was it ever swell. And holy smokes, was Don ever the friendly, kind gentleman. And it turns out he really did mean it about coming to his house for kanikapila the evening before. We turned down a chance to jam with Dennis, Cyril Patrick, Gary and Don and whoever else was hanging around. And good kaukau, too. He really meant it. It was then that I learned how to accept aloha from someone without being suspicious. When he kissed you and the cheek and hugged you, he meant it. When he wanted you to come visit him, he meant it. We felt that same aloha from Dennis and Patrick, as well We did not get a chance to chat with Cyril or Gary, but I am certain they are just as full of aloha as the other guys. There was so very much aloha. In the music and for the music, in the hula from Sheldeen and her halau, in the audience, in the local `ukulele hui who played in the lobby before the show began. In the fisherman from La`ie who talked story with me for a long time about catching fish on that side of the island. That is what this musical genre is all about for me. It is the pure, unadulterated aloha. If the aloha is in the player and in the music, how can you not like it and appreciate it? How can you not be moved by it? That is why when Don told me that he was ill, I was devastated. I tried to show him as much aloha as he showed us, but I could come nowhere close.

Moreover, this music has enriched my life beyond measure. Through my love for this music, I discovered Taro Patch and the wonderful `ohana here. I think my first post may have been about the spooky experience I had at work when the printer went on the fritz and spit out what I thought was machine code. It turned out to be Hawaiian language with words to a song which I did not recognize. I did, however, recognize the line "Ha`ina `ia mai, ana kapuana..." and knew it was a Hawaiian song. I went on a search to find out what it was and wrote to all the Hawaiian musicians I could find web sites for. I also posted it here on Taro Patch. Within hours, I got an e-mail from Kenneth Makuakane who forwarded my e-mail mystery to Keola Donaghy. Right away Keola knew the mystery song was Papakolea, which I had never heard the words to. And through this forum I have made so many friends and had so much fun corresponding with you folks. I have been able to meet Jay and Duke and their families and be hanai'd by them. I have been blessed beyond measure. I have been touched by the aloha, all because of the beautiful Hawaiian music which I love.

Touched or "tetched"....hmmm...

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda

Edited by - wcerto on 10/11/2008 12:46:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2008 :  5:20:19 PM  Show Profile
Great topic, Duke. Here's my two cents worth:

1.) How would you categorize your slack key tastes? – I love the old styles.
2.) How much of it is due to the first time you were introduced to it? – The first slack key that I ever heard was played by Gabby and Atta. What an introduction.
3.) How much of it is due to the learning material or resources available to you? – I have a fair amount of learning materials but I tend to concentrate on the older, more traditional styles and don’t pay too much attention to the newer stuff.
4.) How much of it is due to a favorite slack key artist? – It’s probably very influenced by my favorite players.
5.) More partial to traditional ki ho'alu or contemporary slack key? And why? – I love the older, more traditional styles. I was the same way when I first learned country blues guitar, banjo and fiddle. My sensibilities have always gravitated more toward music from the “olden” days.
6.) Instrumental ki ho'alu or mele ki ho'alu? – I love them both.
7.) Original arrangements & renditions or newer arrangements & renditions? – I like them both and appreciate that there’s no real point in playing like a museum. Make the music your own but leave the synthesizers, etc. alone.
8.) Complex arrangements or simple arrangements? What ever is appropriate to the song. They have a place when appropriate.
9.) Top 3 slack key artists with the most influence on your ki ho'alu – Gabby, George Kuo and Sonny.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2008 :  6:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I wanted to elucidate on Don Narup. Boy, whenever I think of him, I get chicken skin.
Don, Terry and Mary, the SoCal Slack Key Society and their families extended their aloha to me too. I only met Don in person that one time but consider him a friend. Traded lots of emails, a few phone calls and he even interviewed me a couple times on 50th State Radio. A big heart and always working for the artists and the music. I miss Don a lot.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  05:05:01 AM  Show Profile
What an interesting thread to read!

I mostly like traditional, but some of the contemporary is quite beautiful too.

I was introduced to slack key when I was in Hawaii two years ago and picked up a CD entitled "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar Masters." The seventh song - Keola Beamer playing "Kalena Kai" simply stopped me in my tracks. I had never ever heard anything so beautiful in my life. The second song Ozzie's "Ku'u Kika Kahiko" and the sixth song, Sonny Chillingworth's "Moe 'Uhane" had a similar effect. I realized this was the guitar music I was meant to play.

Keola's and Ozzie's music had a deep effect on me before I realized they had so much learning material available. Lucky, lucky me. Then I met and worked with both of them. The things they taught me and the amount of aloha they showed me stay with me forever. It does not get better than that!

Well I go into raptures for Sonny Chillingworth and Ledward Kaapana's playing. I have fun trying to figure out Sonny's songs from the recordings. As for Ledward - his playing is the pinnacle and I am intimidated from trying anything of his, but one day I will! But I am enormously inspired by both his spectacular playing and his incredibly heartfelt singing.

I mostly love traditional mele, with their beautiful melodies and poetic lyrics - whether they are sung with slack key or as a slack key instrumental. But I am very partial to the contemporary songs of Keola and Ozzie as well.

I am primarily a singer, but strangely enough most of the slack key I play is instrumental. Maybe it's because I am so tickled that I can play instrumental music at all - I took up the guitar only a few years ago. But I love to listen to all of it - I get just as much chicken skin from Ledward singing Koke'e as I do from his instrumentals. I sing many, many mele on my 'ukulele for the local hula groups I play for, and am starting to move some of them over to slack key, as I get better at it.

I like 'em all

Like them both.

Keola Beamer, Ozzie Kotani, Sonny Chillingworth and I HAVE to mention one more: Kevin Brown. Kevin Brown , who I have been lucky enough to study with twice at Aloha Music Camp. Those of you with me in his intermediate slack key class and those of you who listened to him with the other Big Island musicians that last magical night at AMC in Keauhou know just what I mean. Kevin is the embodiment of all that is beautiful in slack key and of aloha, and his singing and playing just sear your heart. He inspires me.

Edited by - Claudia on 10/14/2008 09:53:02 AM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  05:28:59 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Admin

quote:
Originally posted by wcerto

I wanted to elucidate on Don Narup. Boy, whenever I think of him, I get chicken skin.
Don, Terry and Mary, the SoCal Slack Key Society and their families extended their aloha to me too. I only met Don in person that one time but consider him a friend. Traded lots of emails, a few phone calls and he even interviewed me a couple times on 50th State Radio. A big heart and always working for the artists and the music. I miss Don a lot.

Remembering...

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

slackkey808
Akahai

USA
50 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2008 :  5:14:52 PM  Show Profile
Hey Uncle Duke, nice topic
I don't really know, as long as I find it amusing and fun I suppose its good enough for me.

If your talking about personally introduced to it, I've never had that privilege. I was lucky enough to catch HAPA and Uncle Led on Hawaiian classics when it used to play on OC 16 (back when I was in 8th or 9th grade). I suppose those two players sort of set my standards in my head (for some crazy reason).

I can't really learn any other way than by hearing it or having someone show me how to play it. Sometimes seeing it is faster for me than hearing sometimes its the other way around. However, even though I know there are many tabs out there, I probably won't ever learn that way because I really don't know how.

It took me a while to fully grasp what slack key really was (technically). The first two songs I learned were Punahele and Whee Ha Swing which aren't in taropatch so for a while, I thought I had to have my guitar in G Wahine tuning in order for it to be considered slack key. During my senior year I got back into kihoalu and started listening to Uncle Leds stuff which pretty much just blew me away. I built my small repetoire (still can't spell that) from songs he played that I was able to since I can't come close to his skills.

I've been told by other slack key artists (Kumu Kwan, Leonard Kwan's son) that Uncle Led plays in a very traditional style. While I agree with that statement for the most part, it's not that hard to recognize when he throws in some jazz or blues licks, but I guess still I like traditional over contemporary. I suppose it's just because its what I've always listened to.

At first I played instrumentals only. I soon found out it's pretty hard to learn a lot of songs in one tuning that are instrumentals. After meeting Uncle Ozzie, I decided to try and "intrumentalize" vocal songs. I've only done it with three songs - 1. God Bless My Daddy 2. Can't Help Falling in Love 3. Pua Lililehua. These three are a nice break from the alternating bass of traditional slack key, and they have a different sound to them since I play all three in dropped C tuning. Instrumentals just seem to be easier to fool around with though so I guess that's why I favor them.

If it makes me want to learn it after hearing it, it's good. If it's so good that I can't learn it, well tough luck for me but I'll still listen to it.

Again anything that sounds nice (I'm not as picky as you Uncle Duke).

1. Uncle Led because he is the main reason I got REALLY into slack key.
2. Uncle Ozzie because he takes time out of his busy schedule to teach me (and anyone willing to learn) new techniques and songs
3. Uncle Sonny Chillingworth because I just like his style, it's hard to describe but it seems really smooth.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.14 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000