Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 DELETED
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Allen M Cary
Lokahi

USA
158 Posts

Posted - 10/13/2008 :  1:32:39 PM  Show Profile
Aloha Claudia, Aloha Kakou,
Amen to the words about Kevin. I just met him this year at AMC and learned Ua Noho Au A Kula from him in the old style--no sheet music, no tabs, jess watch and press. Of course we had to make him use a guitar with dots! Trying to count frets around his large fingahs was tough. He is a beautiful man!
Allen
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 10/14/2008 :  09:27:26 AM  Show Profile
1)Categorize: Broad. I like almost all music, including most varieties of Hawaiian. But Ki Ho`alu is my favorite.
2)How much is due to the first time you were introduced? A fair amount, mostly due to liner notes by George Winston.
3)How much due to learning resources available? Favorite artists for me came after we had amassed a fairly good number of different Hawaiian CD's, and were beginning to really distinguish the styles of different artists.
4)How much due to a favorite slack key artist? A lesser amount, as I like nearly everything. One of the first things I tried to do was to play Hawaiian music on the dulcimer. But it was the SONGS I really responded to, more even than the performer.
5)Trditional/contemporary, and why? Traditional, 'cause that's how I was drawn. I have an album by Leonard Kwan on which he plays beautifully, but every time I listen to it, I think: "If only he'd had a good guitar, instead of that horrible -sounding Gibson arch-top!" A lot of jazz players would think I'm nuts. But it sounds electric. I almost never take my electric out of the case.Again, I was drawed that way.
6)Instrumental or mele?If I couldn't sing, I'm not sure I would play. The words(translations) are what really make me want to learn a song.I'm a words person, and always have been. The words don't always need to be profound, but a good story always gets to me-even if it's science-fiction, or humorous balderdash. The most requested song I play has been "5 Pounds Of Possum."
7) Original or newer arrangements & renditions? The first one I heard is as original as I know how to trace it. Since most original recordings are out of print, I have probably never heard them. The absolute originals may predate recording technology. And Aunty Alice called Gabby "Hopelessly modern." I'm lost, point me out of the maze!.I usually make it up as I go along, if I attempt a solo, it's a melody-based solo in most cases. Stay tuned untill I figure out how to play.
8)Complex or simple arrangements? Simple for now.Stay tuned ( again!)until I learn to play.
9)I hope I'm not insulting anyone by suggesting my hackery is an attempt to recreate what they have played. I don't think my playing displays any one's style at all. There might be some Mississippi John Hurt mixed into my slack key. Reverend Dennis Kamakahi,for those wonderful compositions and recordings, Patrick Landeza for week of lessons at Augusta, and his beautiful playing style and teaching chops, and He Mele Aloha for the translations which helped inspired me to play. Also to George Winston's liner notes for the same reason, essentially. And especially to Dr. Michelle Malie Taylor Ka Hui Hula O Ka `Aina Punahele for encouraging me to play for them. Without someone to sing for, I really stagnated.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  05:06:31 AM  Show Profile
I like traditional. I learned slack key before I heard it recorded. Ray Kane and Leonard Kwan were the big influences (besides the guy that taught me-Rueben Doronio, now on Kaua'i). I love to listen to Led and Cyril.
I played a lot of Bluegrass (with a flatpick) and then some Country Blues and Ragtime (after learning slack key), then took some Swing lessons a few years ago. Everything goes into da stew.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/24/2008 :  06:11:20 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by thumbstruck

Everything goes into da stew.

And you make one onolicious stew, Kory.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 10/25/2008 :  04:41:38 AM  Show Profile
Eh, Wanda -- traditional music always get good grinds. Speaking of stew, I think it's time for the crockpot -- oxtail stew is in order!
I learned slack key along with food, they were inseparable.
Go to Top of Page

basilking
Lokahi

124 Posts

Posted - 10/30/2008 :  11:35:55 AM  Show Profile
1.) How would you categorize your slack key tastes?
Eclectic but more attracted to "old school" styles. Agree with another post that some modern slack key just sounds like "fingerstyle" guitar, i.e. open G w/C bass becomes like DADGAD or whatever. Some modern players/songs still sound traditional although "new".
2.) How much of it is due to the first time you were introduced to it?
Much of it. Heard a duo play/sing in a bar on the Big Island ~1980, was very attracted to the way they performed Led's "I Kona". One of them [name was Oley I think] was very kind to me when I complimented them, wrote out the Hawai`ian words for me. Never looked back though am neither a great singer [at all, let alone in Hawai`ian] or player.
3.) How much of it is due to the learning material or resources available to you?
I learn off recordings fairly easily, don't read notation well, tab's usually not as easy as "by ear". Over time [with help of friends & family in Hawai`i & elsewhere] I've accumulated a bunch of slack key recordings that I still use to learn/refine songs.
4.) How much of it is due to a favorite slack key artist?
Ledward Ka`apana. Sooo many other great players/singers, but he's my hero,
5.) More partial to traditional ki ho'alu or contemporary slack key? And why?
Traditional I guess, but have no problem with individuals' "modern" or different renditions of traditional tunes. Also must say there are new compositions I like in both traditional and modern style.
6.) Instrumental ki ho'alu or mele ki ho'alu?
Both.
7.) Original arrangements & renditions or newer arrangements & renditions? Both. Like to hear "how it was originally done" but often make my own versions based on combining different artists' interpretations, sometimes even add a bit of my own. Have composed a coupla tunes in ~ traditional style.
8.) Complex arrangements or simple arrangements?
Don't mind complexity, feels like the "spirit" of slack-key easily gets lost if the rendition veers off into F#mi7b5...
9.) Top 3 slack key artist with the most influence on your ki ho'alu
Ledward, Leonard Kwan, Ray Kane
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000