Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 You Tube - Week of November 2, 2008
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 11/24/2008 :  06:30:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Let's not ignore Kekuhi Kanahele and her mom who wrote Ka 'Uluwehi o ke Kai.
When in doubt, check with the source - Aunty Edith Kanaka`ole's album with that song on it was reissued on CD a few years back - http://www.mele.com/music/artist/edith+kanaka%60ole/hi%60ipoi+i+ka+%60aina+aloha/

Edited by - Retro on 11/24/2008 06:31:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

Diana
Aloha

USA
3 Posts

Posted - 11/25/2008 :  6:00:00 PM  Show Profile
Wow,

Lot's of thoughts in response to a simple query. Thank you all for your willingness to share viewpoints. In church Sunday we sang "halle halle halle (break) lu - u jah"

I was chuckling to myself, three language errors in one word? It's music!

Sing, dance, listen, play. E hau 'oli kakou.

Diana

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  02:13:49 AM  Show Profile
Here is Jesse Tinsley playing Ka Uluwehi o ke Kai. Please keep in mind I am not a speaker of Hawaiian, but I believe he has the language right on the kinipopo for this. He goes slow enough you can see how to play and sing along with him.

Tanks, eh, Jesse. I think this will be out on your DVD instructional lessons, yeah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  06:28:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by noeau

Rendezvous you may try kahauanau Lake Trio and later recordings of his. Also Cazimeros from the late 90's on. Jerry Santos with Haunani Apoliona is also a good choice. Keola Beamer also. Ka'uluwehi Guererro (excuse the spelling of the last name) comes to mind as well. There are many choices and when in doubt always ask. Let's not ignore Kekuhi Kanaka'ole and her mom who wrote Ka 'Uluwehi o ke Kai.

It was actually Kekuhi's grandmother, Edith Kanaka'ole, not her mother, Pualani Kanahele, who wrote it. If in doubt refer to the composer whenever possible, and in this case, her own recording of it is available:

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/edith+kanaka%60ole/hi%60ipoi+i+ka+%60aina+aloha/

Kekuhi also recorded it on:

http://www.mele.com/music/artist/kekuhi+kanahele/honey-boy/

You will hear some differences in the way Kekuhi phrases it, which does show that you do not have to mimic the composer or older recordings note-for-note and word-for-word. There is room for creativity in vocal performance of mele, something which is a huge part of my Ph.d. research, but there are boundaries. Best way to understand them is to learn the language and study the performances.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  07:06:48 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by sirduke58

Aiya sumboddeh foget sumtin? Eh Wanda I tink you wen drop dis....

Mebbe I get a very rare senior moment. Hey braddah Ed, notice I say very rare.

quote:

Oh BTW my new nickname for Jesse is "Jukebox Jesse" Name any classic Hawaiian mele & my braddah play 'um fo' you.......oni ting not fo' 10 cents but fo' free!!!

Not fiddy dollah?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  07:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Yes, I will play anything, except "Tiny Bubbles", by request. If you request it, that means I will get at least one "hit" on Youtube, which is all that matters to me. Sad, really.

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  09:54:25 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by hapakid

Yes, I will play anything, except "Tiny Bubbles", by request. If you request it, that means I will get at least one "hit" on Youtube, which is all that matters to me. Sad, really.

Jesse Tinsley

Kden. Howz about U`ilani and howz about E Nei. I am lately hooked on Lena Machado. Oooh, oooh, two more -- He Punahele and Adios Ke Aloha. Matter of fact, I could request kajillions and be in hog heaven when you do them. Jesse, whatever you have selected to share with us -- we are happy. Your aloha in the mele is really what makes us love them so much. It kinda oozes out of you.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  6:30:38 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Wanda -

You must have posted this link somewhere because I couldn't agree more with your comment about it on YouTube. I write this literally with tears in my eyes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKABCBoN0S0&feature=related
Go to Top of Page

Mark E
Lokahi

USA
186 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2008 :  6:34:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark E's Homepage
Ah - Now I found your thread about it. So right what you say.
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 12/03/2008 :  04:43:49 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
I think the Version of Amazing Grace done be ukulele911 is one of the prettier versions I have ever heard. It is a beautiful song to just sit and listen to even if it did not bring so many memories to mind .
Today while listeng to it I hear Odetta's rich voise singing I know she has nothing to do with Hawaiian music but the loss of any great voice in the world of music is a great loss. And her voice was a POWERFUL voice.
And one that moved me and carried me many times through good times and bad.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 12/03/2008 04:45:14 AM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000