Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 SoCalSlackey BBQ
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Ianui
Lokahi

USA
298 Posts

Posted - 04/13/2003 :  5:13:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit Ianui's Homepage
The SoCal Slackkey Society will host a BBQ on 4/30/03. Members and their spouses or guests are encouraged to perform for the occassion.

We invite all TaroPatchers that can make it to San Diego to join us. Menu is Roast Pig and all the trimmings.

We will have two special guest spending the evening with us prior to their concert on 5/1. Mr Cyril Pahinui and Mr. Patrick Landeza.

We ask for a donation of $25.00 per couple or $15.00 per individual for the BBQ. Please e-mail socalslackey @ hotmail.com that you are attending and for directions.

To see if tickets to the concert are still available contact Dave Ish at (858)459-0535 or Fax him at (858) 459-1252

Edited by - socalslackeysociety on 04/13/2003 5:18:20 PM

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  10:11:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
i wanted to send muchos mahalos to everyone who pulled this bbq together - don narup for the organization, bruce lamb and paloma for the use of their awesome house, terry and (umm, mary? i'm so bad with names) for hosting cyril and patrick, craig, ken, and all the others for running the show, and cyril and patrick for stealing the show. we had folks from as far away as san berdoo and phoenix.

all i did was try to hang around cyril and patrick enough to get my photo taken and keep heading back for more beer and poke ...

mahalo nui loa,
keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/01/2003 :  10:37:34 AM  Show Profile
Yes, it was a great gathering. I echo the kudos made by Keith. I'll post some photos in a few days after I download from my camera (if I can find where it got to )

See the post about this weekend's Claremont Spring Folk Music Festival
http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=825

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2003 :  12:56:56 PM  Show Profile
To keith and Dusty and rest of the SoCalSlack guys,
Thanks for the Mahalos. Gotta tell ya, in my poor, pathetic life, having Patrick and Cyril around for three days was a real highlight. It was like a college dorm. I've got enough stories to last for years. Imagine going up the stairs into the bedroom to find a KiHo'alu legend standing in his underwear ironing his pants. I gotta get a headcam for this stuff.
A Hui Hou
Go to Top of Page

slack key pete
Aloha

USA
6 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2003 :  11:42:21 PM  Show Profile
Aloha all!Mahalo nui loa to Don and Bruce ,et all for the great time at the bbq!The food was WAY ONO!!Brok' da mout'!!What a privelege to be around such great players that also just happen to be such kind and gentle people as well.I thought I was going to throw up when Cyril asked me to get my guitar,and after we began to play he looked into my yes and as I realized where I was and what was happening I began to choke up---what a range of emotions,and a memory to last a lifetime!! I know that as musicians and fans you can understand---I just want to say THANK YOU again from one kine greatful dude---Pete

pete santilla
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  1:06:04 PM  Show Profile
Here is a link to the pix I promised.

***WARNING***
If you have a slow modem connection (like I do) it will take A WHILE to load this page. There are 15 images with an average size of about 85K. It took about 6-7 minutes when I tested it.

So,
1. click on the link
2. go get your chosen axe
3. play a few tunes
then come enjoy the pictures.

Netscape users can right click on a picture and choose "View Image" for a larger view.
http://public.csusm.edu/wdfoster21/

I will have to remove the page after a few weeks.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 05/09/2003 1:20:11 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  1:43:01 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Dusty, the name of the ? guy is Eddie. He's a friend of Don's and also Don's slack key instructor. Great guy and a beautiful singing voice, especially for hapa haole stuff.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 05/09/2003 1:43:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  1:54:02 PM  Show Profile
OK, Thanks Craig. That still leaves the guy in the 4th row, second column.

Dusty

Edited by - wdf on 05/09/2003 1:54:29 PM
Go to Top of Page

chunky monkey
Ha`aha`a

USA
1021 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  2:29:10 PM  Show Profile
Dusty,
The ? guy in the picture with Keith is a friend and neighbor of Keith's. A blues player, I encouraged him to join the group. Nice guy, and really liked the gathering.
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  3:48:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
great photos, dusty!

my friend's name is gary. i'm hoping that he'll join us regularly. he was teaching me how to play the blues on the ukulele (it sounded good!)

keith

Keith
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  3:54:48 PM  Show Profile
Mahalo, Keith. The puzzle's complete.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2003 :  3:57:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message
PS - that's a great picture of keoki. i wish we had heard more from him.

we need to have a SoCalSlackKeySociety meeting closer to pete and keoki's stomping grounds some time so we can lure them down.

Keith
Go to Top of Page

slackkey
Lokahi

USA
280 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  05:29:14 AM  Show Profile
Aloha Dusty!

I really enjoyed the photos you posted. Wow! That place looks like my backyard in Paia! Hard to beleive that's San Francisco? San Diego? That is deffinitely some "ono-kine-grinds" You guys sure know how to "Pa'ina"!

Just wanted to comment on the photos! Great Pictures! Sure wish I was there too! I also hope to be seing some of you if not all....here on the "Valley Isle of Maui"! Remember.....make sure to cruise on by to "Waihe'e Valley", and join myself along with the "Big Kahuna" Kevin (Ohana Brown) along hopefully with all the rest of our Kiho'alu Ohana.

"E Como Mai'! Come! Come and Join Us! A Hui Hou!

slackkey (Bill)
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  12:35:33 PM  Show Profile
Aloha, So Cal Slackey Society
If i did'nt see the cactus in the back ground i could've sworn it was somewhere in the islands.

Everyone looked so "paliki" ( looked sharp ).
in there aloha shirts. And the food! Is one of
the dish chicken long rice?

Just by the photos it looked like everyone had a good time. Weather looked fine food tasted good, and then highlight of the evening, 2 master slack key artist.

What more can you ask for. Give yourselves a tap on the back. Well planed! And well deserved! ( Still can't get over the food!)

Aloha,Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

Mainkaukau
Lokahi

USA
245 Posts

Posted - 05/10/2003 :  2:00:15 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mainkaukau's Homepage
Great pics! Thank you for sharing them and Slack Key Pete's comment, "I thought I was going to throw up when Cyril asked me to get my guitar,and after we began to play he looked into my yes and as I realized where I was and what was happening I began to choke up---what a range of emotions,and a memory to last a lifetime!!" made me laugh and sigh with a smile. I give credit (and if I was rich, cash:o) to all those involved in the organiztion and participation of these types of events. So cool...
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 05/11/2003 :  4:35:48 PM  Show Profile
Slackkey wrote:
quote:
Aloha Dusty!

I really enjoyed the photos you posted. Wow! That place looks like my backyard in Paia! Hard to beleive that's San Francisco? San Diego?

It was in San Diego at Bruce (Lamb) and Paloma's house. It was a great location over looking San Diego Harbor and Mission Bay.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000