Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Pua Lililehua Tab?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  11:27:26 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Does anyone have tab for Pua Lililehua? (Other than Mika`ele McClellan's.)

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  11:40:05 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I think Pua Lililehua is in one of Keola Beamer's old teaching books. It is tab only, no music.

I actually got it from Cindy Combs at the Beamer camp 4/02. Pretty sure it came from Keola's book though. Played in Keola's C (CGDGBE) and very similar to the recording on Soliloquy.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  12:43:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
It must have come from Five Easy Pieces then, since I have his others.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  12:50:21 PM  Show Profile
Pua Lililehua is in Keola's first book (I think it's his first book) entitled "Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar" Oak Publications, 1977. It came with a tear-out black vinyl record (remember those?).

Duke
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  12:54:03 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
No, not 5 easy pieces. The 1977 book.

You know what? My book is at home. There is a chance that it was mistitled as Pua Lilia?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:06:12 PM  Show Profile
It's listed as Pua Lililehu (p. 56). He doesn't identify the tuning, although he does have the tuning notes displayed on the treble clef. I don't read music that well, so don't know what notes they are. Do you know Andy?

Edited by - duke on 07/10/2003 1:09:31 PM
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  1:06:42 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
OK, I have the 1977 book...I'll check it when I get home. I need to update my spreadsheet, too. Mahalo.

Craig

Edited by - cpatch on 07/10/2003 1:09:50 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:22:27 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by duke

It's listed as Pua Lililehu (p. 56). He doesn't identify the tuning, although he does have the tuning notes displayed on the treble clef. I don't read music that well, so don't know what notes they are. Do you know Andy?

Aren't the songs tab only with sort of rhythm notation above the treble clef? As I recall, I found it kind of difficult to read. I much prefer Keola's more modern musical notation/tabs available in his most recent books and online lessons. The standard notation makes the rhythm much easier to see.

If there are notes, I would not be the guy to ask. Lines = Every, Good, Boy, Deserves, Fudge? White space = F-A-C-E?

Thanks for the quick info on the song title Duke!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:25:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
If I recall correctly, Keola numbers the tunings used in the book (i.e., Tuning Number 1) and then references the number in the tab. You then have to look elsewhere in the book to match the number to the actual tuning.

And yes, Andy, you're correct on your notation! (Although I remember the lines as Every Good Boy Does Fine.)

Craig
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:36:50 PM  Show Profile
He numbers the tunings for every song BUT Pua Lililehua!
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:39:10 PM  Show Profile
Also, another song from that early book showed up on Soliloquy--"Kolowaka" in Taropatch tuning. Very fun to play.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  2:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by duke

He numbers the tunings for every song BUT Pua Lililehua!

Definitely Keola's C (CGDGBE). I learned it in Cindy's workshop.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  3:05:50 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Hey Duke, I'm in the process of transferring the tear-out record to CD if you want a copy. It's not the greatest quality but it's good enough. Let me know at craig @ patchett.com.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

duke
Lokahi

USA
163 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2003 :  3:11:07 PM  Show Profile
Andy--

I don't know...on the treble clef here's what I can make out (high to low): EBGF and then I don't know the two low strings 'cause I can't read notes below the fudge line :)

Craig--I'll email you.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  03:00:28 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Duke's right, Andy...according to the tuning treble clef the tuning is EBFGBE, whatever that is (it's not technically slack key, since the strings are tightened, not slacked!). It's also a duet, which doesn't really help me, and it's not on the tear-out record.

Craig
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  09:37:43 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Well you got me. I checked the book and cannot figure out why the staff is there with the 6 notes.

All I can say is, tune your guitar to Keola's C and give it a try!

Andy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000