Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Pua Lililehua Tab?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  2:26:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Andy, is the version you got from Cindy for solo guitar? How does it compare to the tab in Keola's book?

I may end up just comparing Keola's book to Hal Kinnaman's version and figuring out what Hal's doing, since he said his version was based on Keola's tab and I like his version better than Keola's.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.

Edited by - cpatch on 07/11/2003 2:29:25 PM
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  2:34:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
I'm pretty sure that Cindy's handout was guitar part one from Keola's book.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2003 :  9:25:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Just for slack key bibliophiles: There's an earlier Keola instruction book entitled "Keola Beamer's First Method for Slack Key Guitar" self-published in 1973. It has only 50 pages, and no "Pua Lililehua." But "Kolowaka" is there, on page 39.
Go to Top of Page

cpatch
Ahonui

USA
2187 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  12:07:54 AM  Show Profile  Visit cpatch's Homepage  Send cpatch an AOL message
Richard, I have a copy of the publication you're referring to. The 1977 one is a revised version of the 1973 one and adds Pua Lililehua and Kamakani `Olu`olu.

Craig
My goal is to be able to play as well as people think I can.
Go to Top of Page

richard
Aloha

USA
28 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2003 :  1:10:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit richard's Homepage
Thanks, Craig.

Aloha,
Richard
Go to Top of Page

rd2ruin
Akahai

USA
52 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  8:31:24 PM  Show Profile
There is a version at TablEdit (http://www.tabledit.com/). I've got the tab here in hand, and indeed, it's in Keola's C. This version was TablEdited by Kevin Howard in 2002, so it's fairly new. Whether or not it's lifted from someone else's tab or he did it himself if unknown.

You can download the program (it's a functional demo version), plays a MIDI and you can print it, although it has an annoying 'Demo' tag across the tabs. You can buy the full version and get rid of that.

If you go to http://freetabs.members.easyspace.com/folklore.htm#SlackKey , you'll find the following selections to use with TablEdit:

Aloha Ia No O Maui - Alice Johnson - Arr. Kevin Howard [2002-04-07]
Kaleohano - Unknown - Arr. Kevin Howard [2001-11-18]
Kananaka - Traditional - Arr. Kevin Howard [2002-04-28]
Likoa's Mele - Unknown - Arr. Kevin Howard [2002-04-07]
Na Pua Lei 'ilima - Traditional - Arr. Kevin Howard [2002-05-05]
Ninipo Ho' Nipo - Princess Lili`uokalani - Arr. Kevin Howard [2002-04-07]
Nohili E - Muriel Amalu - Arr. Kevin Howard [2001-11-25]
Pua Lililehua - Mary Kawena Pukui - Arr. Kevin Howard [2002-05-05]
Ua Like No A Like - Alice Everett - Arr. Kevin Howard [2001-11-25]

Enjoy!
- Greg

When you get a moment, could you do me a favor and explain to me what I was just talking about?
Go to Top of Page

Pauline Leland
`Olu`olu

USA
783 Posts

Posted - 07/15/2003 :  9:22:20 PM  Show Profile
You can also download the free Tefview which lets you print a clean copy, play midi, but not create a TablEdit file. (tefview = Table Edit File view? Maybe.)

Pauline
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.08 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000