Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 Travelocity Ad Mocks Hula
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

mike2jb
Lokahi

USA
213 Posts

Posted - 12/18/2011 :  7:56:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Retro

To mike2jb: I can understand why someone in their advertising chain thought this would be a funny ad, but it just didn't work. They failed to recognize that hula is a revered cultural tradition, not just a tourist activity. We can only hope that a few more people are now educated as to its value, its place of honor, and its worthiness of respect.

To slipry1: As you already know, I'm with you on dislike of lutefisk, which is why thumbstruck is happy to take our servings; he can have three helpings, guilt-free, and we don't have to ingest any more fish-jello.

Sounds like we sometimes pick and choose which cultural traditions we'll revere and which we will not. Hope the garden gnome doesn't decide to make a trip to Norway.
Go to Top of Page

Trev
Lokahi

United Kingdom
265 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  02:16:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
“Nothing about CHRISTmas is pagan, otherwise it would be called PAGANmas or something else.”

Well it is, but obviously you’ve already made up your mind. I’ll leave it there, I think.

Mike, I loved your Menorah story - this is the America that I recognsise.

ypoChris - I loved your post too. I have no issues with your beliefs, or anyone elses. When they start saying 'There's 80% of us so the other 20% should fall in line with what we believe', then I'm afraid I do.
Go to Top of Page

fred d
Akahai

USA
60 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  04:51:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did this move from the HULA to christmas? Althou I don't like christmas I lost my faith after seeing the things happing to children and women in parts of the world thinking that if there is a higher power than It must of know that humans cannot control them selfs the dumbest animal doesn't have babys when it's houngry. I donot understand why people have to try to change every thing to there way to the point of killing each other WHY CAN'T WE JUST HAVE RESPECT FOR EACH OTHER! and let it be Peace on earth and good will to each with the greatest respect to each and everyone fred a disabled vet who has seen way to much suffering for stupid reasons

fred davis
Go to Top of Page

ricdoug
`Olu`olu

USA
513 Posts

Posted - 12/19/2011 :  8:02:43 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How did this move to disabled veterans? I'm part of that group, too. USMC '68 ('Nam) to '94 ('Storm) retired (also disabled). I'd say we both fought for all (including us) to voice our opinions, Fred.

ypochris I guess you'll have to stop shopping at places that say Happy HOLYdays (holidays), as it's a blatant religious statement (tongue in cheek).

Semantics, Thumbstruck. The entire New Testament is all about the birth of Christ. The true meaning of Christmas (to Christians).

Everyone do business where you pleas and don't do business where you prefer not to. Enjoy the season for your reason . Ric

It's easier to ask for forgiveness, than permission!
Go to Top of Page

ypochris
Lokahi

USA
398 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  05:43:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
A holiday is no longer necessarily a holy day, although at one time this was, sadly, true.

We can thank the unions, at least here in America, for the fact that we now have regular holidays such as weekends, and many more, instead of only getting Sunday off to go to church.

Anyway, happy holy days to you, Ricdoug, and a merry Christmas. And happy holidays to those who do not celebrate Christmas or hold these days holy in some other tradition.

For my people, tomorrow is a big day...

Edited by - ypochris on 12/20/2011 05:48:58 AM
Go to Top of Page

slipry1
Ha`aha`a

USA
1511 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  07:12:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Trev

“Nothing about CHRISTmas is pagan, otherwise it would be called PAGANmas or something else.”

Well it is, but obviously you’ve already made up your mind. I’ll leave it there, I think.

How about "Yule" or "Midwinter"? More relevant, imho, to what goes on with ceremony and rituals

keaka
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  07:49:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mike2jb

Sounds like we sometimes pick and choose which cultural traditions we'll revere and which we will not. Hope the garden gnome doesn't decide to make a trip to Norway.
And lutefisk "tells a story," though certainly not in the same way as hula - it teaches us about old ways of preserving food, long before refrigeration and other storage devices.

I've studied and danced hula; I've eaten lutefisk. I don't do either one particularly well, but I've made the effort and can speak from a position of some understanding. I don't succeed with every previously-unfamiliar cultural tradition that I try to learn (I suck at pidgin, too), but I do make a legitimate effort with many.

Though I'm not likely to give balut a try any time soon, sorry.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  07:55:52 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ypochris

A holiday is no longer necessarily a holy day, although at one time this was, sadly, true.

We can thank the unions, at least here in America, for the fact that we now have regular holidays such as weekends, and many more, instead of only getting Sunday off to go to church.

Yep - ain't nothing church about Labor Day, for example. Solstice greetings to you, ypochris.

Ricdoug - thank you as well for your service.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  09:37:29 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Bottom line on the Travelocity hula ad is that a collective voice can be heard.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 12/20/2011 :  4:02:40 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
If everyone just played guitar, who'd play ukulele (or steel, or bass, etc)?
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.03 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000