Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 AMC - more questions
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:04:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
where are the concerts at night held? Does anyone run up to the hotel to recharge stuff? (the shuttle doesn't run before classes start in the AM)
mahalo!!

nancy cook

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  06:17:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
The concerts were held a few feet from the dinner hale. They built a stage for the performers, and everyone grabbed one of the dining chairs (or a spot of grass) to watch the show. Ocean was right behind the performers - beautiful spot.

If you go to the web site www.alohamusiccamp.com the first picture is the dining hale (taken from the beach). Concert stage is under the tree.

For the ho'ike (student concert), the stage was moved into the main hula tent, which was right behind the dining area.

I think the longest that anyone has to walk to go to or from the concerts is maybe 5 minutes.

Don't know about people charging stuff at the lodge. Most people seemed to hang around the village. There are some plugs at the dinner house - as Mark said, people seemed to share ok and everyone was happy.

Puna

Puna

Edited by - Puna on 06/08/2005 07:14:34 AM
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:16:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Puna!!
Mahalo mucho (nui loa)
So I don't have to take something nice enough to be seen in the lodge and not embarrass Mark.... that was why the question - this sounds perfectly perfect!!
I'm packing..... when the website said Hawai'ian shirts and muumuus - I thought we had to dress up.

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:33:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auntie Nancy,

Seriously,

I'm showing up with:

3 pairs shorts
4-5 t shirts
assorted chonies
1 pair flips

If I need more or have to conform to a dress code....too bad

Oh yeah....snorkel gear.
Even thinking about bringing a guitar. Maybe just a uke though

Mike

my Poodle is smarter than your honor student
Go to Top of Page

Puna
Lokahi

USA
227 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  11:41:51 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
"Chonies" ?

Auntie - aloha wear isn't dress up! Like Mike, I'll often be in swim trunks, birks, and an aloha shirt.

This is the kinda place where dress code means "Service refused to anyone wearing a tie"

Puna

Puna
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  3:06:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Auntie-

Last year the mu`umu`u came out for the student concert. Some folks like to kind of "dress up" for the performances, but some not so much - whatevehs. I tend to run around in big ole dresses b/c then I don't have to worry so much about my legs getting burned. That plus a wide brim hat and a long sleeved shirt, plus liberal application of SPF a zillion, and I can make it through Camp without a candy cane tan.

I am really going back and forth on the snorkel gear issue - it's a fair amount of bulk and weight, plus I am not at all a great swimmer, so I'd need to rustle up a buddy. But every time I convince myself to leave it home, I read about someone else bringing theirs and I become convinced I need to try to squeeze it in somehow!

Me ke aloha,

Boo
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2005 :  5:31:31 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha e sistah Boo!!! How can you go to someplace so gorgeous, so perfect and so warm and NOT take snorkle gear? Maybe you can just borrow fins at the lodge?? I always take my mask, cuz I know it doesn't leak,,,, and eeeeuuuuuu of course my own snorkle - and yah, I show you 'round the cove.....
OK, I'm just a beach kid... are chonies a northern brand of something or other?? or a guy thing???? And yah, guys just don't need as much, they don't mind if they stink.
And - around here (and over w/ Maui Family) Aloha shirts are wedding attire! I no wear tie.... no shoes..... no need to dress up in mu'u mu'u at night. fantastic...
I've given in to the fact I'm going to have to pay weight charges on Aloha/ Island Air. the young lady with whom I spoke says $20 for over, not $60 or $80 like I'd heard.
I can't wait!!!!!
Now my only problem is a place to stay over the holiday weekend on Maui since the person who offered his place in Kihei took it back for the weekend..... after I'd given up the Condo.....
Can you imagine looking up at all those stars with no City lights? We have the solstice and then we have the full moon!! I can't wait!!!!
auntie n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:28:00 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
I totally concur with the Commander and Puna regarding the attire selection and amounts, with one possible caveat: What are chonies??? Do I need to shop??

See you there in Moloka`i wear!

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  06:45:38 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chonies:

What Mom referred to as clean undies......
(don't leave home widdowt 'em)

Cmdr 'Now I wanna bring 3 guitars and 2 ukes' Piffle

Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  07:16:32 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Chonies! Haven't heard that word since high school. Specifically they were boxer shorts for guys. Mahalo for the flashback.

Look forward to meeting you all.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:01:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What's the deal on being able to pick up 'supplies' while at camp?
Stuff like oh, beer, ice, food....etc?

Is there a store anywhere close, or are we in the middle of a long way from anywhere?

Mike

Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:16:58 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
up on top of the dirt road there's a store where you can get all of the major food groups (beer, spam, chocolate, salsa and chips, and musubi). it's in mauna loa, which doesn't have much else (a cool kite store, a movie theater, a coffee shop, and a nice little park).

aloha,
keith
Go to Top of Page

cmdrpiffle
`Olu`olu

USA
553 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  09:40:18 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Cool Keith, thanks.

Mike

Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  10:05:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks all for yet another vocabulary lesson! I knew I had heard of chonies, but just couldn't remember. CRS. I don't have to shop after all.

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  1:27:43 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Coupla logistics notes:

Please do patronize the local stores -- and tell 'em who you are and what you're doing on Mooloka`i. If you can, stock up in Kaunakakai cuz last year we done cleaned out all the chips and beer in Maunaloa!

We'll have a copier on hand this year. It's my personal machine, so be kind. Copies are $.05 per page. We won't have tons of paper, so limit your copying to really essential stuff. It'll also connect to your laptop via USB -- I'll have the software, too.

Please try to use rechargeable batteries.. they are a lot friendlier to the environment. I'll set up a battery charging station at the beach house. It can handle all types: AA, AAA, C, D, and 9 volt. Remember that AC outlets in the Beach House are at a premium, so we all must share.

Why don't we all try to go a week without our cell phones? Check the camp website for contact info.

Any one who smokes must bring a personal ashtray and use it. The beach does not count as an ashtray -- If I find cigarettes butts on the beach, I'll ask the chef to prepare them with some lipoa and kiawe thorns as a very special meal for the guilty party.

Don't forget to pack some clothes pins in your kit to keep your TAB from blowing away.

Bring more sunscreen.

If you haven't made your travel arrangements yet... ummmm. How's your swimming?

Tha's all I can think of at the moment. Whew, I can't believe camp starts next week!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2005 :  3:58:08 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha nui loa Mark!!
Are you going to have holey paper so it will go in our notebooks? Or do you have a 3-hole punch? Can plug iPod into your computer to recharge batteries? Outlet works fine too.... it doesn't have those normal batteries - will bring rechargables for Reefmaster Camera. Hope to get some good underwater shots, and of course all the rest - but if I manage to learn how to use it, maybe can share underwater pix when I get home. Cell Phone??? I'll be the last one in town to have one.....
OK - awards - auntie nancy gets award for most, and silliest questions.
And I just knew chonies had to be a guy thing. Our mom said they not only had to be clean, but also no extra holes...
CU all very very soon!!!!!
Oh yeah, Mark, I guess that means no between meal snacks too huh?
Mahalo nui!!
n

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000