Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 Camp's
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2005 :  9:37:21 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Was I really there?
Perhaps I only dreamt it.
but what a dream.
please play it again Sam.
I'm still sorting through it all.
Thanks to those who took pictures and shared.
So it really did happen.

What's happenin' with the topics and categories?
Did I miss a post?

Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  7:12:21 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Eh Gordon!

Thanks for getting me through the last legs of our trip home on the redeye! It was a great way to endure SFO before connecting on home. I will send you more pix shortly to prove that you really there, indeed. Yes, it was like a dream, wasn't it? A wonderful one at that!

Mags
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/06/2005 :  7:38:35 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Kapila Kane

What's happenin' with the topics and categories?
Did I miss a post?
Welcome back everyone. Gordon, do you mean this post? http://www.taropatch.net/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2744

Everything looks the same to me. Maybe you came back from camp with a fresh outlook?!?!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

JeffC
Lokahi

USA
189 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  8:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Visit JeffC's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Man, it must be late and I must be tired. I had just typed in most of a message, contemplated misusing a smiley, and sent my message into the ether somewhere....

My family and I were on the extended-extended camp plan: an extra week on Moloka`i. It was a good thing! We got back on Monday (July 4th) and I've been meaning to get on the patch and say Aloha ever since. Now it is Thursday and there is more profound political ugliness trying to snap me back into the "real world." Maybe the aloha is more important now than ever.

A big mahalo to all who have shared their pics from both camps so far. Mine are on film and just got turned in for processing today.

I got to talk with a lot of people in Kaunakakai and Mauna Loa about the camp and Hawai`ian music. Kevin your ears might have been burning. Lots of people looking forward to your playing at the festival this coming weekend.

We saw a few people from camp during the first couple of days following the official close of the extended camp and hung out a little with Don (who was at camp) and his wife Diane (who was not). They had dinner at our place one night and we all hiked out to Mo`omomi Preserve the next day. What a great place!.

We left Moloka`i on Sunday (3rd) for the long, short night home. After the nightmare of having to reclaim all of our luggage (13 pieces total--does it get better as kids get older???) and get through the ag inspection in the middle of a deluge of other travelers (luggage falling of of carts and our exhausted little girls unable to keep out of peoples' way...) we found out that we were seated in first class!! Life was looking up again--maybe United was making up for losing all of our checked luggage, including my guitar for 24 hours on the flight in. Then after clearing security, while we were walking down the covered open-air corridor to our gate, we were treated to the last 5 minutes of a very nice fireworks display somewhere over Honolulu. A whole new meaning to Honolulu City Lights.

So we are back, pushing our way back into the real world, but I am still awash with the aloha from the camp and all the fantastic instructors and fellow campers with whom we shared the experience. It was about many things, but mostly it was about Aloha. What the world needs now is more of that. May we continue to live it and, in our own ways, spread it. Kevin, extend another extra Aloha for me to Moloka`i when you play there this weekend!

Mahalo Nui Loa

Jeff

Jeff

Making Trout Country safe for Slack Key!
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2005 :  9:19:37 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
So for those of you who knew that my son Corey was going to London, England right after George's camp: he checked out the Guitar Institute and flew back to the good ole' United of States on the Fourth of July, so he missed the bombings. He's OK but exhausted and jetlagged. Thank God he left London in time.
Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

ohanabrown
Lokahi

281 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  12:04:25 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha, Jeff

I'm glad your family is home and safe, I will send a song out to the people of molokai, coming from you and your family.

Julie, it's so nice to know that corey is home, please send a big aloha to him...... from maui.

Me Ke Aloha
Kevin

Kevin K. Brown
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  2:04:58 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Julie:

Thank you for the update on Corey! I was wondering whether he was still in London. Thank goodness he is home safe and sound!

Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Kapila Kane
Ha`aha`a

USA
1051 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2005 :  11:02:25 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes,
thanks for safe journeys...all.
The 'kids' on Maui were great energy...and really nice to us 'geezers'.
Glad Corey and all are hopefully home...
and I thought I was jet-lagged last week...yikes.
Go to Top of Page

garyp
Aloha

1 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  08:27:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just a note to check in. Susan and I had a great time. Very much fun meeting all the great campers and terrific instructors and staff. Thanks a lot. I now have lots to work on!

Aloha,
Gary
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Nancy
`Olu`olu

USA
593 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  3:03:02 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
aloha all,
I've downloaded my recordings via my iPod/iTalk and in fact, it works quite well for the teeney system it is... I learned some things - like I should have ID-ed what I was recording...
but that's not the point - I could hear the rain, and remembering staying dry under the tarps and sometimes stopping a moment so we could hear. and I remembered Terri playing her ocarina and realize I didn't get a good sound byte - did you get one for your big CD, Dave? to me, that was amazing - her making it, playing it - really cool!! so many good sounds, so many unexpected delights.
Mahalo all who made it possible,
auntie nancy

nancy cook
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  3:15:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy,

You're correct. The ocarina was amazing and I got a good recording. I will be anouncing soon it's distribution. We did have some fun didn't we? A few bumps here and there, but....

A hui hou,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2005 :  7:46:45 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah. Ocarina. My first encounter with an ocarina was at Lark Camp in Mendocino last August. I was bone tired and went to my RV to lie down for an afternoon nap, when this huge rumble occurred just behind my RV! It was a whole Ocarina Orchestra, playing "Yellow Submarine". Of course, I had to go investigate, and ended up buying a little starter-plastic ocarina, which when I try to play it at home, sends my poor deaf, blind dog into a stunning falsetto song.

Would love to hear someone play it in Hawaiian!

Aloha nui, Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  07:36:50 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Speaking of ocarinas & Lark Camp -

Teri Sugg told me she'd will be there, ocarina & all. As will Jim (the back bone of Da Swingin' Beachboys) and the amazing Robbie.

Annie & I will again host the inimitable `Ukulele Happy Hour, plus I'll teach slack key to all and sundry.

Yes, Ian & Wanda will be doing the Ocarina Band again.

I sincerely hope, Julie & Larry, that you'll join us again. On time, maybe?

Lark is about the most fun one can have: http://www.larkcamp.com/

A hui hou!

Mark
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2005 :  7:39:22 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Yes, this year I won't be making the same mistake I did last year. That is thinking that the second half of camp would start Thursday instead of Tuesday. !!! Can't believe I did that. This year we are supposed to be there at the start. Providing, of course, that my job doesn't stand in the way of all that fun, or I may be late once again.

Warming up my steel guitar. That slack-key one is giving me too much trouble.

See y'all up there! Julie
Go to Top of Page

brenda575
Aloha

3 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2005 :  03:54:35 AM  Show Profile  Send brenda575 an AOL message  Reply with Quote
does everyone know about the wonderful photos kaliko is posting at: http://www.panpolynesia.net? click on "lifestyles" and you will get to the AMC link. currently he has posted days 1 through 4--mahalo kaliko for all your hard work!

brenda lippincott
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000