Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/18/2008 :  8:19:12 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Ah, but insects are part of life in the tropics, no? I remember a particularly handsome, impressive cockroach in my Hilo hotel bathroom, several nights before I drove down to Puna for the first ever Aloha Music Camp. I was scared!!!!!

Not of the cockroach, although I did move to a different hotel, but of the unknown that was waiting for me in Puna. I've never been the same since....

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Ben
Lokahi

USA
122 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  03:04:54 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Julie H

Ah, but insects are part of life in the tropics, no?

Oh, yes, definitely part of the charm. We've met quite a number of big and nasties in our travels. Giant flying cockroaches in Taiwan (never sure whether they were attacking or just flying to somewhere, anywhere when a light suddenly came on), a 2-foot praying mantis which followed my every move in the Australian outback, spiders the size of a hand in Japan, a centipede which covered a 14-inch kitchen floor tile edge-to-edge in Waikele, Oahu. They have their place in grand scheme of things, and they do make for good stories for the more sheltered of our friends.

I wasn't so much referring to giant roaches and centipedes as the little biting ones mentioned on the AMC site. Who wants to need Deet to run VR?

Wow, only two weeks left. I should maybe do something to get ready. Nancy, are you close to melt-down in your excitement? Is DH documenting it? Can I buy a video? This is gonna be so much fun.

See you all there.

Mālama pono
Ben
Go to Top of Page

Kaiulani
Akahai

77 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  06:17:38 AM  Show Profile  Visit Kaiulani's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou,
The mana and beauty of Kaupoa takes my breath away...and OH the BUGS.
We stayed in the "tents" for one night...NEVER again!
I allowed no food inside.
Weeeell...when we woke up:
>we had a swarm of bees welcome us in the bathroom (at least 5 hives)
>Roaches in our tissue holder and night table in our sleeping area
>tiny ants ALL over our bed
>my suitcase (which we zipped closed and with no food in it) and the closed chest were both completely filled with the same ants

After all that...I didn't look for the big black centipedes in the grass.

The lodge is wonderful!!
A Hui Hou,
Ka'iulani

Me Ke Aloha,
Ka'iulani

www.GalleryKauai.com
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  07:53:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I don't want anyone afraid to sleep in the "tents" with all these bug stories! My entire week last year I saw ONE (only one) large cockroach who thought if he curled up in my suitcase I might take him back to the mainland with me (he wouldn't like our winters!)
Susan
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  09:05:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I'm with Susan. After five years at camp, four of them at Kaupoa, very few bugs and none in my tentalow. And, with the arrival of the wild turkeys, I've seen no more centipedes. I'm not fond of those 'pedes, but I still have a very fond memory of sitting next to Byran Yasui at a concert and, when he raised his legs up in the air and squealed (?), I followed suit and watched the rest of the row do the same like rockettes in NYC as a fated centipede made it's way down the row, only to be grabbed by Kaliko (after Moana screamed), with the brave Kaliko dispatching the poor pede from this planet. In my humble opinion, the tentolow is THE place to be. I'm a night person and love to unzip all my window flaps and let ka makani Moloka'i race around me while I watch the moon travel across the sky and think about what might have transpired on this spot many many moons ago.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  09:13:37 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Sarah and I *never* saw a bug in tent or bathroom in our entire stay. Outside, the only bug was the occasional bluebottle fly; not even mosquitos.

Just probabilities, I guess.

I have seen many more and bigger bugs in Florida than in the Islands, more vicious mosquitos and deer flies and shad flies here in New England. Palmetto bugs, indeed. Let me tell you about the house eating ants we have (cost me about $1k), and the Carpenter Bees! And my right leg was paralyzed by a Wolf Spider, in our garden, for a week, and all the skin peeled off - after medical attention, too. Life exists all over.

...Reid

Edited by - Reid on 01/19/2008 09:14:17 AM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  09:19:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Sheesh, sorry I brought this up.

Yes, bugs live in the tropics. Puna, where it is hot and wet, breeds huge cockroaches. Our former site, Kalani Honua, seemed to have a special affinity for the buggahs. Mosquitos & flies, too.

Which is one of the reasons we moved to Kapoa. Sure there are insects, but nothing like the swarms we saw in Puna. Compared to Hilo, or most other places I've been in Hawaii, Kaupoa is remarkably pest-free. (Unlike Cleveland, say )

No mosquitos... though your mileage may vary. If you want to bring repellant, do so. I've never cracked open the bottle.

I'll take a few ants over roaches & mosquitos any day. In six weeks of camps, plus numerous other trips where I've stayed in the tents, I've never experienced an ant problem. But then, maybe its my salty personality...

Centepedes-- yep, like everywhere in Hawaii, there are centipedes in the grass, particularly near the bushy areas. Tho' the turkeys tend to keep 'em in check. Best not to walk around barefoot.

Perhaps I should mention the Moloka`i bats--- striking, large moths that seem quite tame and enjoy a sip of your wine.

Cute little things- maybe Neeej will do Moloka'i bat a quilt one of these years..

quote:
What about The Cockroach That Ate Cincinatti?

I thought that was the Eggplant That Ate Chicago. Oh, different band.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  10:32:47 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
At least in winter time, bugs die in Cleveland. I do NOT LIKE any kine bug. Well, maybe butterflies.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  11:33:34 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
On the other hand...

A few more species of insects might attract a few more species of birds. There is a real paucity of birds on that end of the island.

No mattah, lots of fish!

Larry
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  11:50:39 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I never had much of a "problem" with the bugs at either Kalani or Kaupoa, but did want to mention just as a heads up that I got my second ever bee sting (well, yellowjacket) at the rinse shower by the beach at Kaupoa. Apparently there were a number of them sipping delicately off the water droplets on the grass and one of them was most put off by the giant foot that invaded its party. It could just be that I was an ignorant landlocked flatlander who was not well versed in the "watch for thirsty yellowjackets" rule of beach shower use, but just in case there are others who are similarly ignorant, now you know (and knowing is half the battle...)
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  12:37:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I lied. We did see one kind of bug that Mark mentioned. The gorgeous blue and brownish moths that sip your wine. Sarah got a great pic of one *inside* her wine glass (which we should post)- and, unfortunately for the moth, it did not realize that alcohol vapor from chardonnay is lethal to critters like it was. You should really hope to see them. They seem unafraid, and are as elegant as any butterfly I've seen.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Momi
Lokahi

402 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  1:26:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Posted by Mark:

Cute little things- maybe Neeej will do Moloka'i bat a quilt one of these years..

I've never been to Moloka`i and thus never been to Kaupoa, but I have heard Neeej's (and Susie's) Kakaroach Hula. Get her (them) to do it - it's very good.

Re kakaroaches in general - I call da big ones "B-52s." The thing I hate most about 'em is dey fly right at me. However, I have yet to find one that can withstand a good whack wit' da slippah.

Travel safely, you guys. Have fun.
Go to Top of Page

rendesvous1840
Ha`aha`a

USA
1055 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  2:06:23 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Before my knees got so bad, I used to backpack in Pennsylvania, in the Allegheny Mts. Only thing worse than seeing a rattlesnake is when you hear one rattle, but can't see where it's hiding in the ferns & such. Or maybe when a bear comes to camp, but I never had that happen.
Paul

"A master banjo player isn't the person who can pick the most notes.It's the person who can touch the most hearts." Patrick Costello
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  4:09:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Paul, I was once a through-hiker on the AT (until very recently). Hearing a rattlesnake buzz was a *good* thing because it meant that they were just warming up on the trail and were upset by your presence. Then, you could stomp on the ground and they would go away. Once, without any noise at all, I stepped into a teenage nest, under a tree, of about thirty or forty, with NO buzz at all and, even though it was on a 45 deg. pitch, I rose up about 5 feet off the ground and cleared the nest running and scrambling up rocks. I think I was elevated by ET. And, I had the usual heavy duty leather/Vibram hiking boots that weigh about 10 lbs each. So, don't worry about thye buzz, worry about where you step.

Then there was the time in New Mexico when Sarah and I were accosted by a herd of sidewinders..............

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/19/2008 :  8:32:11 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Maybe we better sing our other Kaupoa critter song...nah, we gots something else up our nonexistent sleeves <EG>. Ya gotta be a bit careful playing at night, though---some of those durn `okinas start motatin' around all over da page (& one incoming roach did send Susy straight up in the air). But just talk nice to the critters...they're mostly very interesting folk & fun to watch :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000