Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Winter Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 12

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/20/2008 :  4:26:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Hey Ben I have pulled myself together enough to check in and post boy I missed out on a lot here. But then I am ALL packed and ready to leave. My plane leave in 7 DAYS OH JOY!!! OH BLISS!!!!! Next Sunday I will be eating Dinner in Waikoloa!

"Perhaps I should mention the Moloka`i bats--- striking, large moths that seem quite tame and enjoy a sip of your wine"

These I can not wait to see unlike everyone else I love the creepy critters but then I got one kid who is an Entomoligist (Bug Freak)for the Federal goverment and he learned from ME. I gotta get a photo of a Wine sipping Moth to show him.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy

Edited by - NANI on 01/20/2008 4:27:51 PM
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/23/2008 :  7:47:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
And here (thanks to Andy's clever maneuvering), for your edification & admiration, is one of dem 'bats'

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  01:33:02 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Holy mackanolie. How big is dat ting?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  05:17:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
OH NOW I REALLY GOTTA SEE. Do ya think they will let me keep one for a pet ! DO YA! I am e-mailing this to my son I gotta know what it is? After all inquiring mind want to know.
by the way 10 DAYS AND COUNTING!

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  06:41:31 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
They are often brighter colored than that one, and with more blue. They vary. They can fill up a pretty big wine glass and, then, their wings poke out. I guess that they have a 6-9 inch wingspan, more or less.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  09:45:59 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
It looks like shelf lichen on a decaying tree.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/24/2008 :  11:35:17 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just in case any one is interested I just had to know what it was it was so pretty so I sent the photo on to my son. the reply is:
"Looks like a Black Witch Moth - Ascalapha odorata. I didn't know they were in Hawaii. They are very large and fly in an eratic manner causeing them to often be mistaken for bats. They come in many coor variations."

Wonder how it got the common name?
Ah well back to work.
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  05:43:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I also recall one AMC where there were tiny little moths that would erupt out of the grass, flutter about and resettle with every step I took. They didn't raise up very high - maybe 6 inches or so - but it was very beautiful and magical. And then there was the year I was in one of the hales situated such that the sun shone in on the open air shower and made rainbows in the spray of the water when I showered - mesmerizing! Kaupoa truly is a place of stunning beauty. I am quite jealous of all of you headed out there next month - June simply cannot come quickly enough...
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  06:54:24 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Nancy,

I think you are correct. The Black Witch Moth has been introduced to Hawaii. Although rare, I have seen many at Kaupoa.

dog
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:55:25 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thanks my son is an entomoligest with the federal government and his special interest is invasive species. He is in AZ waiting for a transfer back to Alaska. Anyway he was wondering HOW they got from Mexico to Hawaii. They are know as very good stong flyers BUT Hawaii is a little far with out a BIG tail wind :-) I have now been instructed to photgraph one for him since I REFUSE to collect for him. I take pictures NOT prisoners!
48 hours till I am in HAWAII !!!!
ALOHA

Nancy
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  9:55:17 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by islandboo

I also recall one AMC where there were tiny little moths that would erupt out of the grass, flutter about and resettle with every step I took.

Ah yes...what Susy called a 'froth of moths' :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 01/25/2008 :  11:32:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Boo!!!!

I Had one of those semi-open air showers at Kalani Honua. One afternoon while I was showering, the wind blew the curtains around my legs, and I could not get them off. Finally, in desperation I cried out: Get off me, get off me! I forgot we had halemates on the other side of the thin wall. That evening at dinner I got some funny looks.

I just hope they were thinking that I was indundated by bugs!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  10:10:01 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha kakou-

Looking forward to seeing many old and new friends next week at beautiful Kaupoa Beach!

Couple of quick notes:

I've posted a revised camp schedule on our website.

If you haven't made your travel reservations... start swimming now. No, seriously, it is best to make your car or shuttle reservations in advance. I'm sure some of you might be willing to car pool, too. Post rides & needs here.

Be sure to bring extra strings, tuner, a music stand (if you want), a flash light, hat, and the like. Don't forget to pack warmups for the evenings, just in case.

You can shop for pupu and your favorite beverages at the General Store in Maunaloa. Don't forget that awesome Moloka`i coffee to take home! Shopping local is good for everybody.

To save paper, why not bring your own coffee mug? Or pick one up at the Outfitter's Center at the Lodge. Like the bumper sticker sez: Listen to Tita-- No Littah!

Man, it is so cold here I can't wait to get on that plane! See you soon.

Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  1:03:50 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Moloka'i mo bettah.

May all you February campers enjoy instruments always in tune, lots of whales cavorting near Kaupoa, brilliant stars, and no doubt, much aloha.

Larry
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 01/26/2008 :  1:12:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Y'all have fun, be safe, be pono and malama `aina. And play that funky music......ENJOY!
And be glad that you have a chance to share Aunty Nona's knowledge and wisdom.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 12 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000