Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Summer Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  10:19:06 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I find it hard to imagine going to AMC without watching the whales, hearing the surf, seeing the moths, sleeping in the tentalows . . .there are just so many memories there. It makes the oli we wrote to Kaupoa last Feb camp mean so much more - I will surely never forget it now. I will always return to AMC but never forget Kaupoa - such a wonderful place!
Susan
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  10:55:15 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Just spoke to a friend on Moloka'i what a loss this is to the community. I feel kind of selfish now as I was lamenting how I will never get to return to her beautiful Island.Her return E-mail spoke of the fact that she understood they are all trying to go to one last Movie at the theater and out to dinner one last time at the Lodge.
The closing of the Ranch and ALL the amenities is truly a MEAN spirited way to get even!
My photos mean so very much to me now. Guess I am glad my camera was glued to my neck as one of the other campers put it.

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

islandboo
Lokahi

USA
237 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  11:02:53 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How sad! My heart aches for the employees of the hotel and all those people on the island who will be affected by this.
Go to Top of Page

PuaLynn
Lokahi

USA
120 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  11:27:30 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
You said it, Boo, my heart reaches out as well. And as Wanda says, it's enough to make a radical of oneself. Lesson learned here .. when ownership goes offshore, beware. Of course, that's happening to our entire financial system right now as the US equitity (securities / real estate etc.) bargains are snapped up by "off shore" or sovereign fund buyers .. probably many also Hong Kong fronts for mainland China and other Asian money. How will they manipulate us down the road? Our turn to be colonized.

But back to camp. One thing I know .. to whatever port the Aloha Music Camp is headed, you know the most important aspects of the camp will survive ..the participation in, and sharing of, aloha, the culture and the beautiful friendships that grow there.

Me ke aloha,
Lynn
Go to Top of Page

GUke
Lokahi

188 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  12:30:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
What a loss!!! I'm glad that my brother and I were able to attend one of the camps at Moloka'i, and I had hoped to someday get back to Kaupoa Beach Villiage. Also enjoyed the golf course there too.
I did find the music workshop at Big Island offered a near-similar isolation experience i.e. you were some distance away from the normal tourist attractions. But I'm feeling bad for the lost revenue for the people of Moloka'i. So hopefully Mark and Keola can succeed in finding something on Moloka'i. My best wishes to you to continue Aloha Music Camp. The idea behind it is more important than where it is held. But you do got to have the place.

Genaro

Genaro

Should I? Itʻs only $, and where Iʻm going itʻll burn or melt.
Go to Top of Page

Reid
Ha`aha`a

Andorra
1526 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  1:23:33 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Genaro, That is when we met, and our meeting has not escaped us. So, just remember the time and hope for the best. As Lynn noted, there are vast forces swirling around us, so just hang in.

Stuff happens, dive into the surf under the curl, and come out the other side.

Hope to see you again.

...Reid
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/25/2008 :  9:07:18 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think one of the most disturbing things I've read in the articles is that access to more than 60,000 acres will be cut off. How do you keep the local Hawaiians from straying into what is one-third of their island? And what kind of business geniuses would complain about not making enough profit and then take ALL of the property out of production?????

And Wanda,

I am already a radical! If I moved to Hawai'i I would become a rabid radical and no doubt someday someone will find my body (or ashes) in one of the canefields. So for now I'll stay here in the California redwoods and fight for the forests and the rivers and the fish, because every once in a while we have a victory.

And at least we recycle here...

Julie

Edited by - Julie H on 03/25/2008 9:09:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  02:02:12 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Watch a video of local news from Molokai:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kx3TlwEM_k

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

`Ilio Nui
`Olu`olu

USA
826 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  7:24:38 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

Aloha nui loa,

dog
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/26/2008 :  7:39:46 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Waaaahhhh
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 03/27/2008 :  11:59:39 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Press Release: For Immediate Release

In light of the recent announcement of the closing of Molokai Ranch, members of Aloha Music Camp wish their deepest sympathies for the employees, who have become extended ohana over the last five years.  “On behalf of the AMC staff, Kumu and many participants, we send our prayers for relief, success and opportunities in these very difficult days for our friends and family on Molokai” Keola Beamer announced. 

“How sad! My heart aches for the employees of the hotel and all those people on the island who will be affected by this.” wrote one camper and from another we heard; “I find it hard to imagine going to AMC without watching the whales, hearing the surf, seeing the moths, sleeping in the tentalows… there are just so many memories there.  It makes the oli we wrote to Kaupoa last February camp mean so much more – I will surely never forget it now.”

Aloha Music Camp, LLC. has held its annual camp at Molokai Ranch’s Kaupoa Beach Village for the last five years, adding a February Camp in the last two years.  Participants have traveled to Molokai from around the world and the sixty percent repeat factor speaks to the draw of Molokai as well as the success of the Camps.  This summer’s camp is scheduled June 22nd – 28th and is nearing a sell-out.     

The Beamer Family, Hawaii’s First Family of Music, has been active as singers, dancers, and keepers of traditional Hawaiian culture for generations. Keolamaikalani Breckenridge Desha Beamer has played guitar, piano, and `ohe hano ihu (traditional Hawaiian flute) since he was very young. He is considered a seminal influence of the renaissance of Hawaiian music and culture though his groundbreaking albums beginning in the early 1970’s. He has also helped popularize the Hawaiian slack key guitar, publishing several popular instructional manuals and videos.

“My family comes from a history of oral tradition in which music plays a central element,” says Keola. “Our genealogies, land boundaries, and navigational information were all in chant form. We are now just beginning to realize the wealth of that knowledge. For some time I have looked for a way to share these wonderful traditions with those interested in Hawaiian culture and music. The Aloha Music Camp brings together some of the finest musicians, dancers, and teachers I know in a magical paradise–it is a wonderful opportunity to discover the true meaning of aloha.”

Mark Kailana Nelson, Administrator for Aloha Music Camp, LLC announced; “Aloha Music Camp June ’08 will happen and we are doing everything we can to keep the event on the island of Molokai.  We have a kuleana to the people who come to learn and experience the culture of Hawaii and therefore we are researching all of our options at this time.”  Moanalani Beamer, President of the Mohala Hou Foundation also strongly supports the efforts to realize the family’s vision to give back to the Molokai community by offering an afternoon of free workshops and a Ho`olaulea performance hosted by the Beamer family and local Molokai Kupuna on following the Aloha Camp.  “Our hearts and aloha are with the employees and their ohana that extend throughout the community of Molokai” Moanalani added.

He Mele Aloha no Kaupoa

He aloha kēia no Kaupoa
Mapuana i ka makani ho`onu`a
A he nu`a `aumakua i ka pō kāne
I walea nō i ke kani ho`okumu
O nā kumu kukui mālamalama
Mālama aka o nā hoa `imi `ike
Ua `ikea ke aloha no Kaupoa e

…He mele aloha no Kaupoa

Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  07:29:23 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Solution: The State of Hawai'i "condemns" the Molokai Ranch, pays low ball price, and uses the property as a state park for traditional arts and history. I know it makes too much sense, the "suits" and "tassel loafer boys" would get their hind pockets in a knot, but just the thought of it is gleeful.
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 03/29/2008 :  8:26:44 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Just brilliant!

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/01/2008 :  09:02:21 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Music Camp Update
April 1st, 2008

Aloha kakou -

I would like to personally thank each and every one of you who has written to express support for the Aloha Camp in the week since we learned of the Moloka`i Ranch's closure. Although I may not have responded individually, you can be sure that I have read them all.

As perhaps the ultimate gesture of support, we have received seven new registrations for June since the announcement! We intend to keep registration open until we reach what would normally be our sell-out at Kaupoa; so tell your friends.

We are hard at work to secure a new site. Our first choice remains Moloka`i, and we are doing everything we can along those lines. But, as most of you know, Moloka`i simply lacks the infrastructure to accommodate a large group such as ours, save at Kaupoa. We approached the Ranch to rent us the space; they refused.

We are looking into the possibility of renting condominiums on Molokai's west end; as of this writing, there may be ample rooms. The rooms are spread over quite a large area, so we may lose the sense of community that we enjoy. In addition, it will be quite a logistical challenge to find workshop and performance spaces, a kitchen and dining areas, and transportation for over one hundred guests and staff.

We are also pursuing options on Maui and Hawai`i. Here the issues revolve around available space and cost more than logistics, as many hotels routinely accommodate large groups. Of course, we are only looking at facilities that would give you the "Aloha Camp" experience–don't worry, we won't be moving to Waikiki anytime soon!

I know that many of you have already made your air travel arrangements. And now we get hit with the news from Aloha Airlines!

We had some very encouraging news over the weekend; but I fully understand your frustration. I just would like to remind every one that it is only one week since the Ranch pulled the plug. It may take at least another week just to know our options. I will continue to send out weekly updates such as this one.

I ask for your patience; but I also understand that some of you may desire a refund rather than wait out the uncertainty. Please let me know and we will immediately issue a full refund of your camp registration fees. I'm afraid we cannot be responsible for any other travel costs.

Please keep checking in with the website; I will post updates there as often as I can. And forgive me if I don't respond to your e-mails or phone calls right away.

Imua Aloha Music Camp!

Me ke aloha,

Mark Kailana Nelson,
Aloha Music Camp

Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2008 :  11:47:44 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Update- April 6

Aloha kakou -

We have narrowed the search down to two locations and I hope to be able to make the determination within a day or two.

Hang in there!

Imua.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000