Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Summer Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/18/2008 :  05:49:29 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
bruce, you're now my number one most favorite kahea kane!

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  11:38:08 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
How do you guys who go to these camps get out of adulation mode when you meet all these swell musicians that we only can listen to on recordings? I would be like a star struck teenager or like when I used to wait after the baseball game for Luis Tiant and Sonny Siebert and Sam McDowell and Leon Daddy Wagner autographs. Does the awe wear off when you see them get up in the morning and be grumpy without their coffee?

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  1:01:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
^_^ what a great question! i'll be interested in hearing others respond to this.

i was star struck when i first went to camp. but, i found out that adulation is a kind of interaction that makes the fan and the artist behave in stylized ways. it's not hard to see how tiring it can be on them.

i find that the most of the artists enjoy being appreciated but not too much. some of them are shy and look uncomfortable, but are eager to work with you. others appreciate it most when you play your version of their song. yet others don't like being pushed, and so you just give them as much space as they need.

bruce is the perfect fan. we were having lunch with keola when bruce came up with a pile of CD inserts for keola to autograph. bruce was open and friendly, and clearly eager while being polite, allowing keola to joke about how much work bruce was putting him under. they both had a great time.

aloha runs deep at these camps, and getting past adulation has led to some wonderful friendship.

btw, as far as i can tell, kevin brown is never, ever, grumpy.

aloha
keith

Edited by - marzullo on 07/20/2008 1:50:24 PM
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 07/20/2008 :  1:16:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message  Reply with Quote
At Keoki's Camp last December, the choir director, Darcy Baker pronounced me a Baritone, and I found myself singing with Rev. Dennis Kamakahi. I was a bit intimidated to be singing in Hawaiian next to a guy who I have admired all my life. I have always called him "Uncle", but during choir practice, I notice that he was wearing his "Class of '71" shirt. I told him that I graduated the same year... so the best he could hope for is "Bruddah Dennis" from now on.

By the way, Bruddah Dennis: If you are reading this, please post and let all of us know how things are going... with your new diet. Best wishes!
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  3:28:28 PM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
Aloha Everybody,

Since my recent 3 day hospitalization at Maui Memorial Hospital directly after my performance at the Maui Slack Key Festival on June 22nd, I've been doing pretty well.

It was a mind jolting experience for me to be admitted to the Emergency Rm and find out that I was in a near diabetic coma condition especially when I didn't even know I had diabetes. Thank God my wife Robin was on the trip with me or I wouldn't be alive today to write this post.

Many thanks to all my friends who have written to me to check up on how I'm doing especially to Wanda, BWOP, Kevin and Jolene Brown and their 'Ohana who took care of my wife while I was hospitalized in Maui, to my fellow Slack Key Buddy Ledward Ka'apana who came to the hospital and jammed with me and Ikaika Brown for an hour turning the whole 5th Floor Ward quiet hour after lunch into a private concert w/standing ovations and multiple hana hous especially from the doctors, nurses, and patients......LOL....To Mike Kaawa who checked up on me everyday via phone from Honolulu, to my mentor Eddie Kamae who called while on a mainland trip to see if everything was alright, to George and Nancy Kahumoku who kept in touch while I was in the hospital, and of course the nurses and hospital staff who answered the many questions I had as far diet and medication. I don't think I could have been in a better hospital to recover than Maui Memorial.

Presently I'm living a whole new lifestyle. Strict carbo counting, watching my glucose level everyday, walking 1.5 mi every morning, and more conscience on what and when I eat. I use to just eat one meal a day but now have 3 meals of 60 carbos max per meal and a snack at midmorning or midafternoon if my glucose level is low.

One of the good things about my hospital stay was that I could tap into the endless dietary information while in the hospital which included local foods too. I now have my charts that tell me how much carbs I can have and still have my local foods and not feel too restrictive as to my choice of food to eat. I think the most important thing I've learned is that 60 carbs per meal is the magic number. I've stuck to it for a month and I feel better and have more energy. I'm also more aware of low blood sugar and its effects. So I make sure now when I go anywhere, I make sure I have my fruit and glucose bars with me at all times.

However, my eyesight is still blurred from the high glucose but improving each day. I have to wait for a month before I can get a new prescription for my glasses until the glucose level gets back to normal.

As far as my mainland performances, I have cancelled all concerts for the rest of 2008 and will perform concerts only in Hawai'i until Dec. of 2008. I will be doing some Slack Key Workshops in Hawai'i coming up in December so that will be therapy for me. I should have my new eyeglass prescription by then so I'll actually see clearly who I'm talking to.

It's been quite an experience for me this past month, and I look forward to the future and the release of my new CD in 2009.

Again to all my friends and 'ohana here on Taropatch.net, I will definitely see all of you in 2009 if not sooner.

Aloha,
Dennis Kamakahi ( DA REV )

Edited by - naukilo on 07/21/2008 3:33:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/21/2008 :  8:11:00 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Dear, dear Dennis,

Mahalo for posting. There were many, many people concerned and worried about you. I remember seeing you at the Napili Kai concert and realizing you were very ill. Something about your demeanor indicated a severe problem. Then when you were hospitalized while we were at Keola's camp, Kevin Brown thankfully kept updating us on your condition. I have no doubt that if he were not teaching at Keola's he would have been in your hospital room everyday.

You are fortunate in that you were admitted in time to make a difference. And I'm grateful that you are able to adjust your diet and you should be improving steadily. Akua bless you and keep you safely in his hands. Give my aloha to Robin as well.

Grateful for your continued presence in our lives,
Julie
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/23/2008 :  6:46:14 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Indeed, we kept bugging poor Kevin for the latest Uncle-Dennis-gram, and rejoiced when we heard you were home again. Imua, moea...all that good stuffs...and aloha nui `oe.

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Jennifer S
Aloha

USA
7 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  04:16:10 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by neeej

I finally got my camp pics beaten into a semblance of shape---anybody want a CD thereof, just holler :-)

Jean,

I would love copies of any pictures you have, I am working on an album of our trip.

Mahalo,

Jennifer S
Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/26/2008 :  6:59:04 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
quote:
[i]I would love copies of any pictures you have

Goody, that gets rid of one CD cluttering up da place. I pops'm into the mail Monday :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/27/2008 :  07:06:07 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Jean,

Just thinking of you yesterday. Got a little story, and why I was thinking of you. My desk is cluttered with slack key books, autographed CD from the camp, my little Taylor baby guitar, and my computer. I use the computer for a music stand. The screen works great as a music rack. To tell the truth that's about all I know how to do with a computer. But back to the story, it was Saturday morning, my usual saxophone students all seem to be away on vacation, so I was relaxing, drinking some coffee, playing "Kaulana Na Pua", life was good. The wonderful little useful tuner that I got at camp wasn't in it's beautiful little hand sown bag, but on top of the stack of CD's. (It is too heavy to leave on the baby, way out of balance.) But I must of knocked the stack of CD's because, plop, there goes the tuner in the coffee cup. My new tuner, my favorite tuner, favorite out of several. I put the baby in the guitar stand and dove into the coffee with my fingers, trying to get it out before it got coffee-logged. I took the battery out, shook the coffee out, and got Kelly's hairdryer. The tuner looked so sad. It had strange colors and patterns on the screen. But after letting it dry out for a day ... it works just fine today, as if it enjoyed my Saturday coffee. Hope it lasts until at least next year!
By the way, I would love to have any pictures. In fact, I wish Mark or someone that knows how to use a computer would build us a site with pictures of the camp so we could all share. We all saw different things. My son-in-law just bought a new Mustang. He already sent me pictures of it on the web. Any Taro patcher know computers?
Thanks again for the wonderful time together, the opportunity to get to know you, Bruce

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000