Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Summer Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  2:39:47 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
Whats goin on with the guy in the funny suit?

What funny suit???

OK, I'll stop fooling around.

It is a ti leaf rain cape. After camp quite a few of us went to Pu`u Honua o Honaunau, where there was a wonderful cultural festival going on. Kupuna from all over the island were showing traditional arts such as carving, weaving, kapa pounding, canoe building and much much more. Truly one of the best such events I have been too.

The rain cape was surprisingly light, and unbelievably cool-- in the hot Kona wind it seemed to grab every breeze and create a pool of cool air next to my skin. I felt cooler wearing the cape than just wearing my T shirt.

Next summer's Aloha Camp will coincide with the annual festival; a not to be missed event. I hope they will have a website soon so we can link to it.

cheers,

Mr. Kiwi

Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  2:51:19 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Thats wild, you look like Hedgehog Man

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  4:26:08 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mark

I felt cooler wearing the cape than just wearing my T shirt.
Well sure, it's always cooler without any pants.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/10/2008 :  4:48:16 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote

quote:
Thats wild, you look like Hedgehog Man
NO!- Kiwi Man!!!

One needs in stay in the Pacific Region after all!!!

Hedgehogs are not of Polynesian origin.. Maori (and Kiwi) are...

(But such Determinations would be helped if he had displayed a pointy beak)

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/10/2008 4:53:45 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  07:06:32 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
(But such Determinations would be helped if he had displayed a pointy beak)

Let's leave my nose out of this...
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  12:33:05 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
See... looks just like him... even the same stance and expression:

Except the long mid-face protuberance! (I won't mention proboscis)

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/11/2008 12:38:49 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  1:22:49 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
YIKES!

I opened this forum by mistake at work (my computer program was hosed and I was waiting for help). When I got to the bottom of this post I burst out laughing, attracting attention I was not in need of.

One of the funniest things I've seen on the Internet!

Actually, that festival was really neat. Not only did we get to see malos and kiwi men, but a hukilau in action, which upset several turtles that were caught in the circle of the hukilau participants. But since this hukilau took place in a protected bay, the fish that were rounded up were not really caught in the nets for consumption, prompting several disappointments from locals standing around me. But quite an interesting sight.

Ah, back to work now...

Julie
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/11/2008 :  1:55:07 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I guess that Mark liked his new jacket so much that he has been seen wearing it many times.

Here he was sighted, resting, after a hard day's nite
(when he should be sleeping like a... well... Kiwi):

And here he is caught wondering what the heck this thread is all about!:

Mahope Kākou...

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/12/2008 06:38:49 AM
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  03:28:11 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
In the pictures on AMC web site, are there any of our Taro Patch `ohana? I would not mind knowing who is who in the pictures. I can recognize Mark and Keola dem, but I mean the student guys.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  04:12:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
For privacy, probably best for people to ID themselves?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  01:20:20 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I think those kiwi are the cutest critters! As is Mark, of course.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  02:08:56 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK Wanda,here is how you find this particular Taropatcher in those AMC pix from June. The second picture down (under the close-up of Keola) is a picture of three of us from the NY Posse dancing "Pua Mana." I'm the one in the middle.

Also, I am in a picture of Keola's slack key class onstage after singing for Moana's hula class. I'm in the front with Owana Salazar and we are both holding our guitars. I'm the blonde with the white floral top and tan pants.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  02:33:16 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claudia - thanks so much for letting me know who you are. Looks like you had a lovely time. How nice you are up there playing with Owana! How cool is that! I am sure your dancing Puamana was exceptional. The pics are beautiful as is your singing voice. I remember your Owl's Lullabye.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Claudia
Lokahi

USA
152 Posts

Posted - 07/13/2008 :  03:02:14 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Mahalo, Wanda. I am just a beginner at Hula, so I was thrilled that Mark took the photo of us in the only hula I know! Yes, I actually look like I know what I am doing in Puamana! Just don't ask me to dance anything else (yet...).

Singing with Owana Salazar was unexpected and totally awesome. After our hula band rehearsal, Owana took me aside and offered to work with me for awhile on my Hawaiian singing. So everyone left the tent, but we hung out on stage and she went over my phrasing for the song I did at Open Mic a couple of nights before -"Waiulu." What a generous and lovely person. I was so touched by her aloha and I am trying to do her proud by remembering her helpful words that day. As Brooklyn would put it, it was chicken skin moment #257 at Camp!
Go to Top of Page

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 07/17/2008 :  3:02:51 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Claudia, great to hear from a fellow camper. It was cool having you and Owana Salazar in two of my slack key classes. I had no idea what to "Kahea" was when Keola said I would be perfect for it. Everyone, "Who's your daddy?" was helping me with their favorites. Owana was the best! To second your opinion, "Owana is a generous and lovely person." I like to let the artist know that I like their music, that I buy their CDs, and that I feel honored if they would take time with me and sign their CD jackets. When Owana just showed up as a student, I was sadened by not being prepared. I have 3 of her CD's. Remember how nice and beautiful she is, she says, "Bruce, here's my address, mail them to me and I will sign them." My shock and disbelief, I think I said you must be kidding. Well, I got home Sunday, put the jackets in the mail (self addresses and a handwritten thank you note) and less than a week I had them autographed with a nice handwritten Mahalo note. What a beautiful thing to do! I'm still floored. All week I was just overjoyed. I would tell people that my feet never touched the ground. I miss Kona, AMC, and all my friends. All ready saving with hopes of next year. I could go on and on ... but my eyes are misty. By the way Wanda, remember Who am I, in Marks guitar class picture, I'm the only one with a Baby Taylor. I haven't met you yet but I have a deep Aloha for anyone who respects Hawaiian culture.
Bruce

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.06 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000