Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 Slack Key Instruction
 Live Lessons, Camps, Workshops
 2008 Summer Aloha Camp
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 7

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  07:53:43 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha,
Looking for a ride. My wife and I will be at the Kona airport around 3pm, If you have room for 2 new campers. We could start getting to know each other before camp starts. You could be our first new ohana. We are coming from Maui on Pacific Wings arrival at 2:41pm, Hawaiian time?
Bruce and Kelli

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page

Holle
Aloha

USA
10 Posts

Posted - 06/13/2008 :  6:52:24 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Bruce and Kelli!
I get in at 2:10 and then pick up my car just in time to find you guys. I'd love to give you a ride.
Holle
Go to Top of Page

suelou
Aloha

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  06:01:57 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
OK, all you summer campers out there! We are excitedly waiting to hear what it was like at the new location! And please share all your pictures! I'd like to hear all the good and the bad points of moving to another location, so I'll know what to expect come February.
Susan
Go to Top of Page

mele kane
Aloha

USA
13 Posts

Posted - 06/30/2008 :  08:57:45 AM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha! I miss the lovely smiling faces greeting, "Good morning". I miss the rhythms of the ocean, eating a beautiful breakfast of Island fruits and oatmeal, right next to the tide pools in the bay with the turtles eating right beside us. I miss all the plants and birds singing in the first guitar class with Keven. I miss Keven's wonderful songs and all my new fellow slack key guitarists: Owana, Robyn, Michell, Joe, ... all of you in the class (I do remember all your names and I have the pictures of you, too) The great music shared in the hulu tent before and after 10:00 p.m. Well, I have to decide to go on and on and on but my new CD from camp (Chris this is beautiful music) is over and I want to go play my new songs again and again, so I don't forget them. My love to all, I already miss you. What grace, the Beamer Ohana, thanks again for you love and sharing.
Aloha, Bruddah Bruce

On time, In tune, Aloha
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  11:27:09 AM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
hey, now i've met mele kane!

um. on location: kaupoa was beautiful. you felt remote. not much traffic (if you don't count turkeys). and, the locals on moloka`i are wonderful. keauhou, though, is beautiful. the simple amenities are pretty nice - no need to pull on rope for shower, electricity abounds. and, the resort really wishes to support activities like AMC.

the next level up: it was nice having the impromptu jams on the platforms in kaupoa - that's harder to do. the beach house was a natural gathering place; it took us a few days to figure out what the equivalent place was in keahuou (answer: where you have breakfast and dinner). by the end of the week, people were practicing in the lobby, which made it more like the kaupoa experience.

more broadly: being on hawai`i island, the musician drop-by rate was great! kona bob graced our kanikapila sessions more than once, and chris yeaton brought by a player named bolo whose brilliance still makes me gasp (i have **never** heard punahele the way he does it). john and hope keawe came by with the kids, as well as don kaulia and matt.

in summary: life is about change, and i miss kaupoa, but i missed the beauty of kalani honua too. and, keauhou has it's own gifts and opportunities.

there were some beautiful moments - but, one of my favorite was seeing the oklahoma hula sistahs dance "this is hawai`i". mamma mia, were they lovely. and, of course, jason's tenor. and braddah rich cook doing "aunty's hands" - plenty of waimaka.

Edited by - marzullo on 07/03/2008 5:36:08 PM
Go to Top of Page

Larry Goldstein
Lokahi

267 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2008 :  4:14:34 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Keith has summed it up nicely. It's not so much the venue, rather our ohana, the Mana'O, and the music.

I think of Irene's impromptu hula with local musicians; priceless.

And, for those into fish, the snorkeleing at Keauhou is very good indeed.

Larry

PS - somebody has got to get that lobby honu makai!

Edited by - Larry Goldstein on 07/03/2008 4:22:39 PM
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  2:51:57 PM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Aloha Kakou -

They say a picture is worth 1000 words. And I know a picture will do far more to tell you about the 2008 Aloha Camp than anything I say here.

So go to the Aloha Camp website www.alohamusiccamp.com and take a look for yourself. (Hint: Follow the links.)

Mahalos to everyone who helped make the camp so enjoyable: our wonderful hosts at the Keauhou Beach Resort: our friends KonaBob, Don Kauli`a, Bradda Matt, Bolo, Sonny & Ikaika for coming down and sharing their great music; the New York Posse and the Oklahoma Girls (now there's a dynamic group); our scholarship kids for teaching us more every day; our wonderful kumu, Greg & Chris for stage wrangling... and most of all the wonderful campers who stuck with us during the hard times this spring. Your faith was paid off: you made it a totally awesome camp!

Me ke aloha pumehana,

Mark Kailana Nelson
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  3:20:00 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message  Reply with Quote
Great photos! Watch out for the posse. I know those guys. Great to see all the familiar and new faces. We miss ya!

Andy
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  4:04:49 PM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote

OK, i just have to ask....

Lee
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  5:04:56 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
AHHHHH... HAAAAAA!!!

First Kiwi sighted in the Hawaiian Islands!!!

(and I'll bet that the SUPERFERRY is to blame!!!)

Dang those invasive New Zeeeeelanders!!!!!!

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras

Edited by - Lawrence on 07/07/2008 5:06:10 PM
Go to Top of Page

brooklyn
Aloha

USA
30 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  5:09:52 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
Aloha Music Camp was incredible this year. We all missed Auntie Nona very much...I think she would have been pleased by the nightly kanikapilas...the impromptu hulas...the jams with the local bruddahs...the love that wrapped up the whole camp for the week.

Mahalo to the Beamer ohana, Mark and Annie for doing a seamless change of location and mahalo to all the Kumu and guest Kumus...and to each camper who came with an open heart.

Edited by - brooklyn on 08/01/2008 05:45:15 AM
Go to Top of Page

marzullo
`Olu`olu

USA
923 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  5:47:45 PM  Show Profile  Visit marzullo's Homepage  Send marzullo an AOL message  Reply with Quote
oh! i forgot to mention - brooklyn did one awesome job making sure the open mike and the ho`ike ended at 10 pm. she did it with a combination of aloha and terror. ^_^ seriously, thank you for doing this well...

Go to Top of Page

neeej
`Olu`olu

USA
643 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  8:34:28 PM  Show Profile  Reply with Quote
I finally got my camp pics beaten into a semblance of shape---anybody want a CD thereof, just holler :-)

--Jean S
Go to Top of Page

Mark
Ha`aha`a

USA
1628 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  07:54:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Mark's Homepage  Reply with Quote
quote:
OK, i just have to ask....

Ask what?
Go to Top of Page

kihoalukid
Lokahi

USA
289 Posts

Posted - 07/09/2008 :  11:21:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit kihoalukid's Homepage  Reply with Quote
Whats goin on with the guy in the funny suit?

Lee
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 7 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Reply to Topic
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.05 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000