Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Auntie Genoa Keawe walks on - In Memoriam
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Peshkwe
Akahai

50 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  08:42:44 AM  Show Profile
Just saw a post at HawaiiThreads saying Auntie Genoa Keawe passed on at about 4am HST.

If true....*sigh*

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  09:02:47 AM  Show Profile

A real loss...

...what a great contribution she has made.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  09:05:08 AM  Show Profile
What a kind and gracious lady she was. She was the embodiment of aloha. She has left a legacy of her music and her family. Aloha `oe, Aunty. Now you may sing with the angels.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  09:29:23 AM  Show Profile
She was the epitome of aloha.

How blessed we are to have her wonderful recordings to keep her forever in our hearts...

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  09:32:45 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
From the photo gallery at www.genoakeawe.com

Genoa Keawe holding her National Endowment for the Arts award in September 2000. This award was given in recognition for her contribution in sharing her Hawaiian music and culture in Hawaii. Hawaii Representative Patsy Mink attended the ceremony and was invited to present the Award. Representative Mink also hosted Genoa and family at the nation's capitol for lunch.
Big loss for Hawaiian music and fans everywhere, but she will be remembered always.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  10:04:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage

I am absolutely devastated. I am lucky to have been able to tell her many times that hers was the voice that took me to paradise when my own childhood was less than idyllic. Had there been no Genoa Keawe, I couldn't have cared less about Hawaiian music.

In my mind and in my heart, she was the first and only.

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

naukilo
Lokahi

USA
103 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  11:56:33 AM  Show Profile  Visit naukilo's Homepage  Send naukilo an AOL message

Aloha Everyone,

It is indeed a sad day in all Hawaii that the First Lady of Hawaiian Music has passed on.

Auntie Genoa has always been a gracious warm lady filled with aloha that touched many musicians, like myself, in our careers. Her smile and warmth touched all those who met her. She will be missed.

Ua hala 'oia i ka lanikeha i ka poli o Ke Akua mana loa. Amama. Ua noa.

Aloha Ke Akua,
Rev. Dennis Kamakahi
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:38:56 PM  Show Profile
We will miss her, but her music will live on foeva. Aloha to da Keawe Ohana.

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20080225/BREAKING01/80225037

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  12:52:51 PM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
An interview with Auntie Genoa Keawe by Branscombe Richmond at mauitoday.tv. Other fun clips there too.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

KäneKïHö`alu
Akahai

64 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  1:15:58 PM  Show Profile  Send KäneKïHö`alu an AOL message
Aloha `oe, Aunty Genoa. You will be truly missed, but never forgotten.

E mālama pono a e hoʻomaha ma ka maluhia o ke Akua,

Matt

Edited by - KäneKïHö`alu on 02/25/2008 1:16:41 PM
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  1:22:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Aloha 'oe, Aunty Genoa. You will surely be missed in the islands. Please say a prayer for the Keawe 'ohana. There will be no one that will replace you Aunty Genoa.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

hwnmusiclives
`Olu`olu

USA
580 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  1:48:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit hwnmusiclives's Homepage

Over the coming days and weeks, I am sure the tributes are going to take many forms - everyone sharing their special moment with Aunty Genoa.

This is my favorite Genoa Keawe moment - sung from her wheelchair from the audience on the wireless mic... A duet with O`Brien Eselu.

September 23, 2005

Join me for the history of Hawaiian music and its musicians at Ho`olohe Hou at www.hoolohehou.org.
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  1:59:06 PM  Show Profile
Thanks for sharing those links, guys. Bill, an especially fitting tribute to Aunty. What a classy lady. And her `ohana has the same aloha. Remember, Eric Keawe is one of our TP family members. We extend our deepest respect, admiration and condolences to `Ohana Keawe.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

alika207
Ha`aha`a

USA
1260 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  2:24:59 PM  Show Profile  Visit alika207's Homepage  Send alika207 an AOL message  Click to see alika207's MSN Messenger address  Send alika207 a Yahoo! Message
What a fabulous wahine she was. I wish I could have heard her sing live and/or met her in person. Oh well.

(sings) Aia i 'Alika... lol

He kehau ho'oma'ema'e ke aloha.

'Alika / Polinahe
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  4:15:19 PM  Show Profile
I met Aunty on Thanksgiving last year. What a gentle lady. She was very gracious to me and I feel so lucky that I was able to tell her how much her music meant to me. I'm sure she's with the angels now and my thoughts and prayers are with her family. Aloha, Aunty.
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 02/25/2008 :  5:18:20 PM  Show Profile
It's very hard to grasp the enormity of what Genoa Keawe means to so many different people in so many different ways. Mother of 12. Leaving behind scores of grand, great, and great great grandchildren. Icon of Hawaiian music.

If a "Mt Rushmore" of Hawaiian Music and culture is ever built. This Icon of Hawaiian Music deserves her place in it. The world is a better place because of Genoa Keawe. A role model to us all, in lots of different ways.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 02/25/2008 7:44:27 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.16 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000