Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Hawaiian Slack Key Guitar / Hawaiian Music
 Hawaiian Language forum?
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

Mika ele
Ha`aha`a

USA
1493 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2006 :  10:17:42 AM  Show Profile
WOW
The previous posts are exactly what makes this such a unique forum -- filled with respect and aloha.
Malama Pono,
(and Sarah, I am not obsessed with pigs, just can't type very well!!)
although I keep thinking of SPAM musubi . . . maybe a little kahlua pig ... . . .

E nana, e ho'olohe. E pa'a ka waha, e hana ka lima.
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 09/07/2006 :  06:53:13 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
If I may jump in and paraphrase what a couple of visiting kumu told our halau, regarding the "Ha`ina..." verse:

They said that, as `olelo Hawai`i was an oral language for generations (before a written form was devised), being able to recite a story or a geneaology was the key to passing information from generation to generation - if you've ever heard a lengthy family chant, you can hear that this was how information was "recorded" in a non-written way.

To respect your ancestors and the participants in historical events, you had to learn these stories from your elders, make them a part of your permanent memory, and pass them on to future generations. If you failed to do so and lost these memories, it was as if those people and events never existed, never occurred.

Adding the "ha`ina" verse was a formal, musical way of saying "now I have told you this story as I learned it, thus bringing these people, these places, these events back into existence once more." The implied message that accompanies that is: "the responsibility is now yours, to learn this information and to carry it forward to the next generations - so that these people, these places, these events will never disappear."

It serves as a reminder that, as we learn a song, a hula, a tale from the past, we are now linked to a chain that goes back to those who taught us, and those who taught our teachers, and their teachers before them, and on back through history --- and that we bear a great responsibility to not be the end of that great progression, to teach others what we learn.

A hui hou e malama pono, =Gregg=
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  12:43:12 AM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
I would like to see an Hawaiian Language forum where we can discuss the language, and the culture. I am all for it. Mahalo nui and e malama pono.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  03:28:29 AM  Show Profile
I think it would be a great idea. Sometimes I feel intimidated by seeing all of the Hawaiian phrases and salutations being used, without me knowing the English meaning. I think it would be very helpful and a great teaching tool if more people do what Alana just did in her last post.... that is, give a translation after the Hawaiian phrase that she used at the bottom of her above post.

Mahalo nui (Many thanks)!!

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain

Edited by - markwitz on 08/17/2007 03:29:24 AM
Go to Top of Page

Retro
Ahonui

USA
2368 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  07:02:10 AM  Show Profile  Visit Retro's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by markwitz

Sometimes I feel intimidated by seeing all of the Hawaiian phrases and salutations being used, without me knowing the English meaning.

Never any need to feel intimidated here, markwitz - just ask, and people will fill you in (and not make you feel dumb in the process.)
Go to Top of Page

mpi_50
Lokahi

USA
133 Posts

Posted - 08/17/2007 :  4:05:24 PM  Show Profile  Send mpi_50 a Yahoo! Message
Ha'ina mai shares roots from the paniolo days. Mexican ballads also have a "Ha'ina" which basically states that this is the end of the song about.... Another interesting item. the vihuela is a 5- stringed instrument used by Mariachi bands (the "ching-ching" sound after the bass line). Worth researching.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  08:46:14 AM  Show Profile
howzit everybody ...

all da Hawaiian I know is wateva kine words I use in da pidgin ... an some of da words from songs an stuff we wen learn small kid time. I wen vote "maybe" on da hawaiian language forum, cuz I really wanna learn Hawaiian too, but I not shua how much time I get fo really get into um. Fo shua, but you get my support :-)

going eh bruddah!

shootz.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 08/20/2007 :  11:24:30 AM  Show Profile
Here I am, totally ignorant, still hoping that when folks use Hawaiian words that they will also translate to English, at least on this particular website. I think perhaps some folks are practicing what they've learned, but you're leaving a number of us in the dust. And I'm not talking about the words aloha, kau kau, pau,kani ka pila, lu`au, that maybe we all should know.
Mahalo - thanks -
n
Go to Top of Page

Fingerpickin
Lokahi

117 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  07:25:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fingerpickin's Homepage
YES! I often struggle with this...for example, when I moved to Kailua, Oahu a while back I tried to figure out what Kailua meant.

As many of you know, "Kai" means Ocean. Well, one meaning for "lua" is "toilet." So for a while there I thought Kailua meant toilet ocean!!

Turns out, the second part really means "two" a contraction of "alua." Therefore, Kailua means "Two oceans" or perhaps, "the place where two ocean currents meet."

Hawaiian is not always intuitive and there are double meanings everywhere. I for one would support the forum!

-Lance (In Kailua!)

"Hey Lance, try watch." -Ozzie
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  07:49:28 AM  Show Profile
Ka wai nui marsh used to be open to the sea and there was a great sandbar that today has many houses on it and is part of Mokapu peninsula. The old days it loked like two bodies of water. thus Kai lua resulted. Someone who knows more about this might add to it and possibly correct the folklore I heard and have now passed on. Ha'ina 'ia mai ana li'dat.
English translation is appropriate however like most translations a lot is lost. The word aloha for example is more than hello,goodbye love etc. Alo by itself is face ha by itself is breath. Put together it incorporates the meaning of both. But literal meaning is nonsensical. Basically the meaning conveyed is related to breath which is fundamental to life. The Hawaiian honi is really a sharing of that breath between people and is not a western kiss. Therefore the breath from my face so to speak is given to others with the word aloha. Aloha also may be an entreaty to ask for blessings to be bestowed on every one. Such as, aloha mai kaua/kakou and so forth. So please do not take it lightly when someone says aloha to you. A less serious and grave greeting would be ano 'ai, a pehea 'oe. or some such. It kind of means, E how's it ,how you? The reply could be 'oia mau no. Same as always.
Again this is some of what I have learned and could be corrected if need be.

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.

Edited by - noeau on 08/23/2007 07:51:03 AM
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  08:17:37 AM  Show Profile

Ho'omaopopo kauko e na wahine a me na kanaka?

[/quote]
Of course typos can happen I do it all the time. Kauko was probably meant to be kakou. something was omitted between ho'omaopopo and kakou. The word is ia with a mekona above the a. The phrase should be ho'omaopopo ia kakou. And I would not use kakou if I am addressing others outside of my self. More appropriately would be maopopo ia 'oukou, e na wahine etc. The word maopopo is a nvs type word that is a noun/stative verb. It is treated like loa'a so understanding is to a person thus the use of ia as a directional is needed. The impliication is , is it understood to you? I hope this helps to clarify why sometimes certain word are used with certain verbs.

Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 08/23/2007 :  08:39:22 AM  Show Profile
Kawena Pukui published a book on Hawaiian place names. It gives the pronunciation and the meaning and perhaps a wee bit of history. It is a small book but an excellent resource. I got ours at the Bishop Museum Book Store, but I am sure there are plenty of other places it can be found. When I read what she has written about the various places, its like a light switch has been turned on. For instance Makapu`u. A very apt name for a place with a light house.

For a bit of info about Makapu`u, please see: http://www.lighthousefriends.com/light.asp?ID=141

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

keoladonaghy
Lokahi

257 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  8:54:22 PM  Show Profile
In a subject marginally related to this thread, and for those that are interested, I've added a Ulukau Users group on Facebook. If you have a Facebook account and use Ulukau, please feel to join and ask questions, provide feedback and suggestions. Those of us who have run the site somewhat anonymously for the past years would like to start getting more interactive with what has turned out to be a substantial and growing user base.

It's not a place for general language questions, but specifically for Ulukau-related subjects.
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 08/24/2007 :  10:26:18 PM  Show Profile
Check out the above link. Plans for online courses are listed. If Ekela is the kumu it is definitely a good deal. She one good fun person. Of course I refer to Nahenahe. Surf the site and check a'o makua etc.

Edited by - noeau on 08/24/2007 10:27:19 PM
Go to Top of Page

LovinLK
Lokahi

USA
112 Posts

Posted - 08/26/2007 :  2:08:09 PM  Show Profile  Visit LovinLK's Homepage  Send LovinLK a Yahoo! Message
A native speaker is definitely needed. You may understand the literal translation but the kaona and levels of kaona can make a translation totally incorrect. This is just as important as vocabulary, esepcially in understanding the meaning of a song. It may be OK literally, but very kolohe when you REALLY know the meaning.

Lovin' Lee is my favorite pasttime!!

Edited by - LovinLK on 08/26/2007 2:09:10 PM
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.12 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000