Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 LedHeads
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Pua Kai
Ha`aha`a

USA
1007 Posts

Posted - 04/14/2007 :  4:43:59 PM  Show Profile
Whoa!! I'd bet almost everyone on taropatch is a LedHead.....
I just came from Whittier after his performance with Mike Ka'awa. Whew, what a kolohe pair! A really huge treat for me is that his sister and her pal Chuck Burnett opened for him. It'll be hard to hear sweeter slack key than those two... very nahenahe. good news, Lehua will be recording next month in Honolulu with the other "Ladies of Slack Key" and then this summer she and Chuck plan to put out a CD of their own. Led's sister's name is Lehua Ka'apana Nash and she lives in Torrance CA. What I don't understand is why the show wasn't sold out. Geez, I love the music; and he's such a fun performer. And thank you Led and Mike for finishing with Hawai'i Aloha at our loud Hana Hou!
aunty nancy
PS: By the way, the Whittier college Hawaiian music series has been going for 13 years. They have started having local music on the patio and today some of the folks who play at Bob's Ohana played with some of the folks from OC. They plan to ask Henry Kamae and the regular Friday guys if they will play outdoors ahead next year.
So much aloha!! So nice to share.

Edited by - Pua Kai on 04/15/2007 06:11:29 AM

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  05:06:46 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Pua Kai

...good news, Lehua will be recording next month in Honolulu with the other "Ladies of Slack Key" and then this summer she and Chuck (I am SO sorry for forgetting his last name) ...

Burnett (I think).

The 8PM show was not full either??? It was a fantastic show, though.

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  9:19:31 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
We caught our first show tonight at Rancho Nicasio. Ran into Auntie Cathe, folks from Shawna's halau, folks from UFO, and this real fun bunch from Hawai`i!!! This gig was a definite sellout, with a lu`au and a full hula show. We brought one of the senior dancers from Lynn's halau and it was great to hear her observations on the music and dance.

Led opened with some slack key classics, "Spanish Eyes" on the `ukulele, and plenty of great stories. Then Mike came out, Led tuned up to standard, and they romped through a couple of tunes. While the guys took a break, the ladies of Halau Hula Na Pua O Ka La'akea danced to Faith Ako and Shawna's `ukulele and vocal duets.

Then Mike and Led came back for a second set. Their show together is like a different dimension from a solo Led show. It seemed to me that Led was having a lot of fun doing the lead guitar role over a strong rhythm guitar instead of having to carry the whole load by himself. Both guys showed plenty of talent just in their backup vocals, but "I Kona" just had me busting up. Led started out singing pretty high, and Mike did harmonies under the falsetto, but when Led modulated up and _really_ hit the high notes, Mike rared back and sang harmony _above_ the falsetto lead.

The show ended with Led burning the fretboard on "12th Street Rag/Sweet Georgia Brown" and in lieu of an encore, "Hawai`i Aloha."

The only bad news of the night, the CD sales crowd was so deep that I didn't get my hands on Mike's new live CD. The good news is that I'm going to two more Led & Mike shows this week so I get some more chances to snag one.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 04/15/2007 9:22:06 PM
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/15/2007 :  10:15:25 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

Coming to Don Quixote's on Wednesday night? If so, I'll see you there. (I'm decorating the stage as usual.) I'll have to get a CD BEFORE the show.

Aloha, Julie
Go to Top of Page

RWD
`Olu`olu

USA
850 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  04:33:50 AM  Show Profile
I have a ticket for a center balcony seat and I am soooo ready to see him in Chicago the 27th.
When I saw Keola in MN last year I drove 5 hrs.
I only have to drive 2hrs this time.
Bob

Bob

Edited by - RWD on 04/16/2007 04:35:50 AM
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  05:33:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Julie, I think the Don Quixote show is the one I'll have to miss. I'll see them in Berkeley and Redwood City. Of course, things could change ...

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  1:07:25 PM  Show Profile
Just got off the phone with Milton Lau -- lucky are those who attend the Led & Mike concerts, as that's the ONLY way you'll get Mike's new CD before it's planned release date in June.

Drat...this is one of those very rare times when I wish I still lived on the mainland and could scoop up the music!

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/16/2007 :  7:50:12 PM  Show Profile
E Auntie Maria,

Want me to grab one and mail it to you?

Julie in Shipping
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:51:36 AM  Show Profile
(weird happenings on taropatch.net? I sent this earlier, but it still hasn't shown up...so here it is, again!)

Julie, I love you!! Yes, yes, yes please!

Further info from Milton Lau -- his label (Rhythm & Roots) will be releasing eight CDs this year. First "outta the chute" will be three in June -- Mike's, plus debut solo releases from Walter Keale & LT Smoothe.

FYI...Milton will be at the Seattle gig (4/24 @ Triple Door), recording it for the next CD from Led...another "live" one!

Auntie Maria
===================
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 04/17/2007 :  10:16:53 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
OK, a short one. Tonight at the Freight and Salvage in Berkeley, Led and Mike put on a three hour show that felt like one hour or less. An interesting incident - the DI for Led's guitar had problems during Led's opening numbers. What could have been an annoyance with a lesser artist became an opportunity. He just picked up the `ukulele and treated us to a virtuoso turn.

The packed house stayed till the last note, even though it was 11:00 PM on a work night. Everyone in the place was completely captured by the magic on the stage.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

bigwave
Aloha

USA
9 Posts

Posted - 04/18/2007 :  06:00:30 AM  Show Profile
I was also at the Freight and Salvage last night and it was, as Fran says, truly magic. I am running on coffee and adrenaline this morning, but it was absolutley worth it. Don't miss these guys if they come your way.

--Dave

--Dave
Go to Top of Page

Bwop
Lokahi

USA
244 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  06:34:19 AM  Show Profile  Visit Bwop's Homepage
I woke up this morning, and my cheecks were sore. Oh, yeah, too much grinning last night at Mike and Led. We all know what consumate magicians, I mean musicians (well, both) they are, but hearing them play together and SINGING together was the popoki's lole moe. I gotta quit my day job and get one touring van, fo' reals.

Bwop
Go to Top of Page

Lawrence
Ha`aha`a

USA
1597 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  09:13:52 AM  Show Profile
Yeah!!!

...That Ledward is one funny Kalohe buggah!

Modulating to E minor in the Middle of Opihi Moemoe!...
...That look on Mike Kaawa's face as he tried to adjust was priceless.
(Mike took in stride nonetheless)

Apologies to Fran, meant to wala'au but, after the grief and terror of parking in Redwood City, I did not see him again.

Bay Area Folks take note:
The Redwood City Pirates charge for street parking all the way to 10PM (and we almost didn't bring enough change for the meters). Little Fox validates for Parking Garage fees, but only for 1.5 hours and the same city jerks charge $5 per hour in the Parking Garages. I think this makes Redwood City the most expensive city for parking in Northern California, outside of San Francisco.

Mahope Kākou...
...El Lorenzo de Ondas Sonoras
Go to Top of Page

nahenahe
Aloha

USA
21 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:04:43 AM  Show Profile
Fran's comments above are spot-on. I've seen Led play many times before, but Mike's incredible rhythm guitar-playing frees Led to demonstrate a much wider repertoire than many people know him for. My jaw dropped as Led effortlessly improvised perfect jazz riffs up and down the fretboard. His sense of rhythm is also impeccable: he'll play rubato-style for several measures straight, seemingly "losing" Mike's rhythm, only to seamlessly re-join at the appropriate point.

I'd never seen Mike play before (he and the regulars at Honey's took a gig in Waikiki when I last went there), and I ended up watching his fingers as much as Led's. Mike, playing his 12-string Ovation in standard tuning, amply demonstrates that rhythm guitar is an oft-underappreciated skill: you don't notice mediocre rhythm guitar-playing, but you immediately notice great rhythm guitarists like Mike. Even when a chord spans, say, four beats, his fingers are literally moving on every beat - either because he's walking the bassline or because he's transitioning between chords (often in half-step increments, as between the C and D chord positions in standard tuning).

A great show not to be missed.

Tim Dang
Sunnyvale, CA
Go to Top of Page

JimC
Lokahi

USA
135 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  8:21:40 PM  Show Profile
Wow, just got back from the Sebastopol show.

I've got to say this is one of the best tours I've seen come to the Mainland. Rates right up there with when the Kamakahi's and Brown's played together.

Just a couple more dates left. If they are coming to your area get a ticket now.

Jim
http://www.ohanahulasupply.com
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 04/20/2007 :  11:05:15 PM  Show Profile
Here are their remaining gigs:

Sat 4/21 - Lodi - Arts & St. Johns
Sun 4/22 - Grass Valley - Center for the Arts
Tue 4/24 - Seattle - Triple Door
Fri 4/27 - Chicago - Old Town School of Folk Music
Sun 4/29 - Kansas City MO - Knuckleheads

For details -- and links to the venues:
http://www.ledkaapana.com/concerts.htm

Auntie Maria
===================

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000