Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 MD: Makaha Sons, Hoku Zuttermeister, Keoki & Herb
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 5

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 09/21/2007 :  3:33:08 PM  Show Profile
Hey Herb,
I got the CD and gave it a listen. Sounds great.

I enjoyed the way you blend your style with the styles of your guest artists. I especially like your arrangement of Tsunami (one of my favorite songs) with Daniel playing piano. Also enjoyed the originals.

Keep up the great work.
Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 09/25/2007 :  2:33:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Aloha Everyone,

By the sounds of it, The Makaha Sons and Hoku are ready for Maryland. Hear they had a terrific concert in New Hampshire! Way to go guys! It is less than a week away. Ticket sales are growing. If you haven't done so, get a ticket to the concert of the year in Maryland.
Again, Hoku will have his chart topping Cd with him, The Makaha Sons will have their Award winning DVD with them, Keoki will have new Cd's with him, and there's also my Cd.
We will all b in the lobby area after the concert to say hello to all of you and sign Cd's and DVD's. Looking forward to seeing all of you there! Until then, Aloha!

Herb, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net
Go to Top of Page

hapakid
Luna Ho`omalu

USA
1533 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  07:25:18 AM  Show Profile  Visit hapakid's Homepage
Off topic, did anyone notice the make and model of Hoku's parlor guitar?

Jesse Tinsley
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  08:02:35 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
I'm curious too. Andy, could you give us some insight since you were there? Do we need to move this query to Da Kine Music Gear forum? - M
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  08:56:11 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by MahinaM

I'm curious too. Andy, could you give us some insight since you were there? Do we need to move this query to Da Kine Music Gear forum? - M

It's a Larrivee Parlor. I didn't ask him the exact model, but it's a nice one with attractive woods and appointments (inlays). Looked like Rosewood or EIR?

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/28/2007 :  12:57:16 PM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Mahalo Andy for the info! It must be a special one, especially if he used it for his performance. I'm sure the sound of it was pretty good for a parlor-sized guitar. - M
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  04:33:57 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
The parlor sounded great plugged in and easy for travel. If I get any additional info, I'll post here.

Hope some Taropatchers go to the show tonight. I spoke to Herb and Keoki last night, and they're ready to go. I'm sure it's going to be another great one. Hope Herb can post about it.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

MahinaM
Lokahi

USA
389 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  05:25:55 AM  Show Profile  Visit MahinaM's Homepage
Thanks again Andy. Any additional info would be great. I'm in the market for a quality-sounding parlor guitar, that's why I am so curious. Mahalo Jesse for posting the initial inquiry!

Herb and Keoki if you see this: Knock 'em dead tonight, yah? I know you'll put on a great show, as always. You both have so much fun together (both on and off stage) and are always a joy to see perform. Hope some Taropatchers will be there tonight too! - Maggie
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/29/2007 :  07:05:27 AM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Maggie, if you want to get into some details on parlor guitars you might try starting a new topic. Meanwhile, I can say a few words about the Larry parlor, having owned one for a few years. They're wonderfully made little guitars with a fine sound _for their size_. They have a 24" scale, compared to 25.4 or so on a Martin dreadnaught or 24.75 on most Gibsons. The shorter scale can lead to some tension problems when dropping tunings, but it can be dealt with by changing to a heavier gauge string or by modulating one's touch. I was surprised that after playing mine exclusively for a month (out Kahana way on Maui <grin>) my touch had adjusted quite nicely and I could play in taropatch with light strings and no problems.

When I bought mine, these guitars were very reasonable. They were built with what Larrivee calls "01" trim level - bare bones. These days they are built with 05 or 09 trim level and cost around $1K+. Used versions of the older, plainer guitars cost about the same used as they did new, around $400 or so.

I found the Larry parlor to be more musical and playable than the Taylor Baby, the scale is longer, the nut width is wider.

Guitars labeled "parlor" these days come in a wide range of sizes, from the 5 series Martins and Collings Baby (and Baby Taylor) up to the Tacoma Parlor which is about the size of a deep bodied 00.

The plugged in sound of most guitars is only distantly related to the acoustic sound, so stage use of a guitar is not necessarily an endorsement of its unplugged quality.

And, finally, some of the sweetest parlors are being built by small shop and individual luthiers. Goodall, for instance, builds a large (00-ish) parlor that has lots of fans. One of my favorites is John How, who builds very authentic replicas of early 20th century Stella parlors - http://www.johnhowguitars.com

And I love Herb and Keoki!!

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Edited by - Fran Guidry on 09/29/2007 07:07:28 AM
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  09:46:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
Fran I second that Herb and Keoki together are TOO MUCH!!!!

OK I am home I am tired ( yea I know Wanda, Paul and especially Herb& Keoki my trip was NOTHING compared to yours but it was three hours each way.) What a night. The meeting of new friends was worth the trip. But OH the MUSIC. Herb you are the man! I am always go away more impressed than the last time now I just want to get back to Hawaii so It is easier to hear great music.
But it was a great evening. And as much as I love the Makaha Sons (plase nobody flame me here I love the Makaha Sons I know they are HAWAIIAN Music to some) my whole family enjoyed the opening act the most. You are apatient man Herb :-)

We were not told that photos without flash were allowed or else there would be a some of Keoki and Herb. But if you would like to see some of the Makaha Sons Performance in MD . You can check my gallery shots it was a fun evening. http://photodreamer53.smugmug.com/gallery/3565869#202244171

So I will just sit here and listen to my new signed CDs

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/30/2007 :  3:51:58 PM  Show Profile
Emcee for the evening was Isaac Ho`opi`i, our hero from the Pentagon on Sept. 11, 2001. What an honor to see him. I did not get a chance to shake his hand, but I hope my thoughts reached him.

Herb and Keoki are such a team! Kind of like Bob Hope and Bing Crosby. Herb's `ukulele playing blew me away...such sweet sounds. Oh, and those flying fingers! Keoki is so cute! Watch out, Ocean, you may have some competition. Keoki can sure play the guitar. Their version of Hi`ilawe was fantastic. Keoki has such a unique and soulful voice and just a laid back way about him. His talk story about Pele and Kamapua`a was great. I've never heard the history told quite like that. What a way to begin a show.

The haumana from the halau were great, and I especially enjoyed the keiki. Then, Uncle Jerome, John and Moon sang with some of the sweetest harmonies I have ever heard. They come together perfectly and it seems so effortless. It is like those voices were made to complement each other. Uncle Jerome I think is the kolohe one. Between his and John's giggles, they just about had me busting up as well. Chicken skin moment of the night for me was when Moon sang Kaleohano. Man oh man! It gets no better than that. And then, Uncle Jerome started thanking all the folks who helped put the show together and the `ohana who provided the lei. And, all of a sudden he said, "Where are Paul and Wanda?". He said he wanted to thank us for the stuff we wrote on Taro Patch getting folks interested in the music and their show. Herb told me he enjoys the talk story on Taro Patch. What an honor to be called out by these Na Hoku Hanohano winners! Made wai maka for me. Got a few pictures, but mostly in the lobby while we weree getting CDs and talking story.

It was also great to meet up with Nancy Adkins (NANI). She brought 4 `ukuleles for me to try out. A Flea, a Fluke, a Kala and I forget what was the beautiful, expensive one (but, oh, did it sound nice). I played a C chord and an F chord and was able to do so very easily on the Kala model. It fit my hands very well. The size was just right. Paul picked out a few tunes on the `uke and then played a bit of guitar. He and Nancy did a bit of jamming...Wahine Ilikea; Island Style and Hele on to Kaua`i. I ran out of power juice on the digital camera during the show, so pics will have to wait until I get the film developed.

We bought Herb's new CD and the compilation "Na Mele Moku o Keawe". Both of which are top notch. Get 'em while you can.

Nancy - thank you so much for bringing all your "toys" for me to play with. You helped me make my mind up. I am going to get a Kala model from Mike da Music Guy. It sounded very, very nice. All of them sounded WAY better than Paul's banjo `uke.

All in all it was a great week of vacation in the nation's capital, topped off by a most wonderful concert by some very talented folks.

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

NANI
Lokahi

USA
292 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  02:08:40 AM  Show Profile  Visit NANI's Homepage
No problem Wanda my baby that you were refering to is my Tenor KoAloha and she did sound sweet especially when Paul was playing her> I know he claims he can ot play Ukulele but well he sure fooled me. Great evening guys. Now if only Ben had been able to stick around we would have had two players and me trying to keep up. At least I did know a few songs.
I love Herbs new CD It will go a LONG way to improving my work conditions here. Even Medicare will be plesant listening to Herb and Keoki. I will never be able to listen to Keoki again with out a HUGE grin on my face what a character.
Wanda that is a perfect description of them Bob Hope and Bing.
After listening to ALL the new CD's we bought. All the way home I have Taro Patch Twist by Keoki stuck in my brain. I can not find the chords anywhere anybody got them?

"A hui hou kakou, malama pono".
Nancy
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/01/2007 :  4:21:11 PM  Show Profile
Here are pictures of the show from the Makaha Sons web site. A fun time was had by all.

http://www.makahasons.com/images/photo_galleries/09292007_last/09292007_last.html

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 10/22/2007 :  1:48:21 PM  Show Profile
Here is a link to a few of the pictures we took while in College Park for the Herb Jr./Keoki/Hoku/Makaha Sons show at University of Maryland, in case you may be interested.

http://www.corddigitalhighway.com/Share/MakahaSons/dakine

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

HerbJr
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 10/23/2007 :  01:29:48 AM  Show Profile  Visit HerbJr's Homepage
Aloha,

Just wanted to express how much fun we all had in Maryland.
Wanted to say thank you to all of you that joined us.
Also wanted to say thank you to Yvette, Nagtalon, The Makaha Sons, Hoku Zuttermeister, Keoki Kahumoku, Halau O 'Aulani, Irv and Shirley Queja.

Mahalo!
Herb, Jr.

Herb Ohta, Jr.
www.herbohtajr.com
www.hojfc.com
www.herbohtajr.net
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 5 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To: