Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Performance/Event Announcements & Reviews
 Opening for Ledward, Sept 9, 10, 11
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  1:12:22 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
I'm sure plenty of Northern California folks are planning to be at one of Led's shows, so I wanted to give you fair warning - Led has asked me to play a few numbers to open the shows in Winters/Palms Playhouse, Felton/Don Quixote's, and Nicasio/Rancho Nicasio.

Led has been a huge influence on my playing, and on my understanding and enjoyment of Hawaiian music, since my earliest days of exploring slack key. His instructional video was one of the landmarks in my learning process, and the opportunities I've had to play along side him have always shown me new paths to pursue. I'm humbly thrilled to have an opportunity to be a small part of his shows.

Fran

E ho`okani pila kakou ma Kaleponi
Slack Key Guitar in California - www.kaleponi.com
Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  1:43:18 PM  Show Profile
Congratulations, Fran! What a thrill and an honor, to receive a request like that from Led. You deserve it, too. It's not to wonder at that he feels both confident in you and comfortable with you.

Have fun!

Aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page

wcerto
Ahonui

USA
5052 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  4:32:48 PM  Show Profile
Fran - WOW! What an exciting bit of news. Oh, my. You've got to be floating on clouds! Your music is so beautiful and this goes to show you that those "in the know" recognize that as well and consider you an equal. Jus' press, brother. Congratulations and knock 'em dead!

Me ke aloha
Malama pono,
Wanda
Go to Top of Page

markwitz
`Olu`olu

USA
841 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  6:44:57 PM  Show Profile
Wow Fran!! What a thrill for you. My wife and I will be seeing you at Don Quixote's in Felton a week from tomorrow, Sept 10th.

"The music of the Hawaiians, the most fascinating in the world, is still in my ears and
haunts me sleeping and waking."
Mark Twain
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2007 :  8:22:46 PM  Show Profile
Markwitz

When you are enjoying Fran and Led, come and introduce yourself to me. I'll be the one running around fussing about the stage decorations. Looking forward to actually seeing you eye-to-eye.

Julie
Go to Top of Page

wdf
Ha`aha`a

USA
1153 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  06:32:29 AM  Show Profile
Break a leg, Fran!

What in the world do you play to open for Led??

Dusty
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  06:38:22 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
Fran,

Way to go! Very, very cool! Man, I wish I could come to a show.

Great question, Dusty.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Auntie Maria
Ha`aha`a

USA
1918 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  08:58:25 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful news, Fran! Led knows good talent when he hears it!!

And you haven't met Julie yet? Give her a hug from me, 'kay?

This one's for you, Fran (hug)!

Aloha,
auntie maria

Auntie Maria
===================
My "Aloha Kaua`i" radio show streams FREE online every Thu & Fri 7-9am (HST)
www.kkcr.org - Kaua`i Community Radio
"Like" Aloha Kauai on Facebook, for playlists and news/info about island music and musicians!

Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  12:21:25 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
Thanks to all for the kind words.

Auntie, Julie and I have been picking and singing at each other for several years now, but I'll be glad to pass your hug along anyway.

I've already made a dozen or so lists of three song sets and thrown them all away. It's an especially tough problem for me, since my show usually goes something like "Ku`u Ipo Onaona" and "Slack Key Lullaby" and "Aloha Ia No O Maui" and on and on through Led's tunes.

Heck, he's got so many I'm sure he won't miss a few if I grab 'em first <grin>.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Pops
Lokahi

USA
387 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  3:25:28 PM  Show Profile
Fran,

Cool, very cool! Break a leg!

--Mark
Go to Top of Page

hawaiianmusiclover06
`Olu`olu

USA
562 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2007 :  4:43:34 PM  Show Profile  Visit hawaiianmusiclover06's Homepage  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 an AOL message  Click to see hawaiianmusiclover06's MSN Messenger address  Send hawaiianmusiclover06 a Yahoo! Message
Congratulations Fran! This is a great opportunity! Hope you break a leg. Tell us all about it in your next posting.

Alana :)

Aloha Kakou, maluhia a me aloha mau loa (Hello everyone, peace and love forever)
Go to Top of Page

thumbstruck
Ahonui

USA
2165 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  03:32:46 AM  Show Profile
Should be good fun!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Sowders
Akahai

USA
96 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  09:56:06 AM  Show Profile  Visit Ray Sowders's Homepage
Go get 'em Fran!

Ray
Go to Top of Page

Darin
Lokahi

USA
294 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2007 :  11:40:46 AM  Show Profile  Visit Darin's Homepage
Congrats Fran!

Darin
http://www.hawaiiguitar.com/
Go to Top of Page

Fran Guidry
Ha`aha`a

USA
1579 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2007 :  8:58:56 PM  Show Profile  Visit Fran Guidry's Homepage
quote:
Originally posted by hawaiianmusiclover06

Congratulations Fran! This is a great opportunity! Hope you break a leg. Tell us all about it in your next posting.

Alana :)

Well, Alana, I did as you instructed and didn't post again until I could tell about the show <big goofy grin>.

Thanks to everyone for the kind wishes, your thoughts helped me keep it together when I could have fallen apart, and I really appreciate it.

Dusty, I mentioned to Led that I was having a hard time choosing songs because so much of my repertoire is "borrowed" from him - he said not to worry, if we played the same song he'd tell people a different name, play it in a different key, and decorate it so nobody could tell they were the same <grin>. I avoided the unflattering comparisons, though, by doing a Ray Kane arrangement of "Nanea Ko Maka I Ka Lealea" and a couple of tunes from my CD.

Now, here's the inside scoop on hanging with Led, opening for Led, playing alongside Led. If you've seen him perform, you've seen someone who projects a deep love for music, for his family, for his friends, for his home. Someone who's rascally and funny and kind and considerate. Someone who's a musical genius and completely modest. Someone who's happy and comfortable with where they started, where they've been, where they are now, and where they're going.

Well Led off the stage is exactly, precisely the same as Led on the stage. He's just as warm, just as funny, just as generous with his time and talent. When I tried to tell him how much playing with him meant to me, how inspiring it was, and how I'll treasure the memories for the rest of my life, his response was "Ehhh, we really had some good fun, yeah?" What could I say, we did _REALLY_ have some good fun.

Fran

Slack Key on YouTube
Homebrewed Music Blog
Go to Top of Page

Sarah
`Olu`olu

571 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2007 :  03:17:05 AM  Show Profile
Wonderful report, Fran, and I can believe that "words cannot express...."

quote:
he'd tell people a different name, play it in a different key, and decorate it so nobody could tell they were the same

...Ledward is among the few who could really, really do that and it would work!

aloha,
Sarah
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.11 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000