Taropatch.net
Taropatch.net
Home | Profile | Register | Active Topics | Active Polls | Members | Search | FAQ | $upport
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

HomeWhat is slack key?Hawai`i News HeadlinesTalk story at our message boardArtists, Clubs and more...
spacer.gif (45 bytes)

All Forums
 General
 Talk Story
 You know you're from Hawaiʻi if...
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  8:01:37 PM  Show Profile
FYI ... you can still get the Ox Tail Soup and other stuff. The folks who did the food at Kam Bowl (Kapiolani Coffee Shop) moved to a new location a few blocks away - off Waiakamilo and Kalani Street. The wife and I went there yesterday - regular size Ox Tail Soup is almost $12.00 now.

Google map to 1286 Kalani St, Honolulu, HI and you will see where it is.

I don't want to rub it in, but this location is da bomb. Right next to Kapiolani Coffee Shop is Sugoi's - you gotta try their Garlic Chicken/Hamburger Steak combo. Actually, everything they serve is great.

An oh yeah ... a couple doors down is Young's Fish Market! All in one tiny strip mall location. OK, ok ... I'll stop now. Aloha!

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page

noeau
Ha`aha`a

USA
1105 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2008 :  10:19:16 PM  Show Profile
Good for know that kine. I went Young's for poi and fish and ended up with one mango uke. How's that for one stop shopping?

No'eau, eia au he mea pa'ani wale nō.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  07:45:37 AM  Show Profile
eh keali`i, wat about Mitsuken's garlic chicken? I wen try Sugoi's one, but I still like Mitsu's one mo bettah. Dey still in business o wat? I wen hea dat da owner wen get into trouble ... da worst kine, in my opinion.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  07:59:31 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

Dey still in business o wat? I wen hea dat da owner wen get into trouble ... da worst kine, in my opinion.

Mitsuken's is my favorite. da_joka - I heard the same. Bad and crazy stuff.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Konabob
`Olu`olu

USA
928 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  08:19:08 AM  Show Profile  Visit Konabob's Homepage  Send Konabob an AOL message
Didjuguys see Anthony Bourdain's show about Hawaiian Food? (No Reservations - The Travel Channel) It is so cool to see this NY chef being re-introduced to local grinds. He visits some Oahu locals restaurants, goes to a back yard kine luau, and also a tourist kine luau and finally a Tiki Bar. There are also some really great shots of the volcano going off back in December. His summation of the whole experience? Well, you gonna just have to go watch to find out, brah!

Aloha,
-Konabob

Konabob's Walkingbass - http://www.konawalkingbass.com
Taropatch Steel - http://www.konaweb.com/konabob/
YouTube - http://www.youtube.com/results?search_type=&search_query=Konabob2+Walkingbass
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  10:16:30 AM  Show Profile
My family banned me from eating Sugoi's Garlic chicken.

You can shower 2 or 3 times and can still smell the garlic coming out of your pores the next day. But taste so ono.
Go to Top of Page

kealii
Aloha

USA
39 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  2:55:21 PM  Show Profile
You know ... I used to live right on School Street, across from Kam Bowl just a couple blocks away from Mitsuken. But I rarely went there because of the parking and lines. I think they are still open, but not sure. They definitely have great garlic chicken.

Both owners got in trouble big time - and both around the same time. I'll check it out next time I drive by to see if they still up and running.

"Geevum ... one more time!" (Gabby)
Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 03/05/2008 :  11:46:54 PM  Show Profile
Drove by Mitsuken the other day. Looks like they're still open.
Go to Top of Page

da_joka
Lokahi

361 Posts

Posted - 03/06/2008 :  09:13:50 AM  Show Profile
phew. since my folks goin be coming up at da end of dis month, one request ... FROZEN mitsukens :-)

ha ha ha ... STILL GET CHANCE .. woo hoo! 808bk, maybe if you eva in china, try da Beijing style pot stickers, (Beijing jaozi) you how we wen go grind um? take one bite raw garlic, den one bite of da potsticker, and repeat. ha ha ha. see how your ohana likes dat.

If can, can. If no can, no can.
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  11:25:16 AM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by da_joka

i no call um shave ice, it's "ice shave".
Brah, what paht big island you from again? You folks talk funnykine ova deya.

Go to Top of Page

808bk
Akahai

82 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  2:56:56 PM  Show Profile
Hey! We no talk funny. Get (had) one sign at Itsu's that proves it's "ice shave"..
Go to Top of Page

guitarded
Ha`aha`a

USA
1799 Posts

Posted - 03/20/2008 :  3:49:31 PM  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by 808bk

Hey! We no talk funny. Get (had) one sign at Itsu's that proves it's "ice shave"..
By golly, you're right...

Itsu got da "Hot Dog" part right.

I wondah why he neva fix da rest of da sign.

Go to Top of Page

Admin
Pupule

USA
4551 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  04:55:14 AM  Show Profile  Visit Admin's Homepage  Send Admin an AOL message  Send Admin an ICQ Message  Send Admin a Yahoo! Message
quote:
Originally posted by Momi

A couple of musician friends (one from Kane`ohe!) were waxing poetic about the waffle dogs at a place in Waikiki, and looked horrified and pitying when I admitted I'd never had 'em!

On a short trip to Oʻahu, I successfully sought out a waffle dog. The Waikiki location closed in February.

I got one for $3.50 in Kaimukī at Ka Lei Eggs. They have 'em Tuesday through Thursday (adding Friday soon) from 11am to 4pm.

Also can be found at the Lance Goya Cheveron next to Kawananakoa School on the weekends, The Little Oven on King St. near Kaheka soon to be on Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday. Also, at Hawaiian Style Snacks in Kailua daily.

Probably best to call before going since times and days vary.

Andy
Go to Top of Page

Julie H
Ha`aha`a

USA
1206 Posts

Posted - 04/24/2008 :  7:40:04 PM  Show Profile
Eh!

You mean wen dey don wanna open dey don open? Wat's wid da "times may vary"?

Julie
Go to Top of Page

braddah jay
Lokahi

235 Posts

Posted - 04/25/2008 :  01:57:15 AM  Show Profile
The word "WHAT"somebody give you stink eye,you nod your
head upward and say WHAT.Somebody asks you to do something
dumb,you look at them and say WHAT crazy.And especially
when someone calls out your name,you turn around and say...
WHAT.Yeah you from hawaii!
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 New Topic  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Taropatch.net © 2002 - 2014 Taropatch.net Go To Top Of Page
This page was generated in 0.09 seconds. Snitz Forums 2000